We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Green Bay worth a visit in Winter?

Minneapolis...
3 posts
Save Topic
Does Green Bay worth a visit in Winter?

I am in Minneapolis and am going to have a road trip to Chicago in early January when the weather allows.

Green Bay seems to be very beautiful in summer. But what about winter? I am wondering whether I should set it as my first stop or not.

Thanks

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Green Bay worth a visit in Winter?

I agree Green Bay is beautiful in summer. Since it's out of your way heading to Chicago I'd suggest somewhere else along the way to check out instead. Perhaps give Lake Geneva a shot. It's a beautiful area and it would be on your way. I think Green Bay is beautiful anytime but maybe less to do than summer certainly....have you ever considered Door County, that would be a lovely destination in winter to enjoy (less crowds and beautiful in any season) www.doorcounty.com if you don't mind that it's out of the way of Chicago it would be worth considering perhaps more so than Green Bay although you could certainly take in both.

Edited: 5:13 pm, December 20, 2013
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
331 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Green Bay worth a visit in Winter?

I agree with Door County. Many don't go there in the winter but it is still beautiful. There are things to do in Green Bay even in the winter, but just like all midwest cities the dirty snow mars up the landscape.

If you go from Minneapolis to Green Bay it is about 4.5-5 hours. Then to get to Chicago is another 3-4 hours (depending on traffic). You can get from Minneapolis to Chicago in about 6.5-7 hours. (I have driven these many times). By adding Green Bay you will only add a few hours. So it is doable. Door County is another hour from Green Bay but well worth the drive.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,272 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Green Bay worth a visit in Winter?

How much time are you considering spending on the extra stop? If you're just trying to get from Minneapolis to Chicago in one day, it may not be worth a stop, If you're a big football fan, it could be worth seeing the Green Bay Packers Lambeau Field, but otherwise I'd take a pass.

Trying to get from Point A to Point B in Wisconsin in January can be challenging at times because of the weather, If you truly want to see more of Wisconsin and you want some other suggestions, we can give you ideas.

Hey, I like Green Bay, but it's not necessarily a picturesque community worth driving out of your way for in the middle of winter.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
404 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Green Bay worth a visit in Winter?

I live in Green Bay and I'd advise against stopping here for your trip. ;)

Enjoy your trip to Chicago!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Green Bay worth a visit in Winter?

Definitely worth a visit if you're a Packer fan, or even an NFL fan....

6. Re: Does Green Bay worth a visit in Winter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 27, 2014