We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specific travel Question, January 2nd 2012

west sussex uk
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Specific travel Question, January 2nd 2012

Hi.

We are travelling from Green Bay to Chicago on the 2nd January to catch a flight back to England at around 8 in the evening.

What are our transport options for this journey?

Once in Milwaukee there appear to be several train options to Chicago, but it's getting to Milwaukee that's the problem.

Looking at coaches (Greyhound) there seem to be only two - one which leaves Green Bay at 6. 15 in the morning - and the other one leaves at 9.20. This second one takes 3 hours 55 minutes, compared to 2 hours 35 for the one which leaves at 6.15.

Does the Greyhound schedule include all Coach Companies, or do we have other options?

Thanks for your help.

west sussex uk
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Specific travel Question, January 2nd 2012

I guess that our other option is to hire a car in Milwaukee, and drive up to Green Bay (and back)

Typically, what are the road conditions likely to be atthis time of year?

Thanks again.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,357 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Specific travel Question, January 2nd 2012

It's difficult to say. It is winter in Wisconsin. It's very likely there'll be snow on the ground, probably temperatures in the 0-20F range, colder at night. Are you comfortable driving in the snow? The biggest issue is blowing snow or driving during a snow fall. The interstate between Milwaukee and Green Bay is a north/south road and if there's blowing/drifting snow it can be a challenge. Farther away from Milwaukee it's rural so there's not much to stop the snow.

They generally try to keep the interstate systems as clear of snow as possible. As I mentioned earlier, driving would be a possibility as long as you allow enough travel time and consider leaving a day earlier just to be safe. If you have a choice of days to leave Green Bay it would make it much, much easier.

I live in the area and have made that drive literally countless times in the winter. Generally it's fine to a minor nuisance, but there have been some pretty awful drives. If you're comfortable with some snow and slight slippery conditions I'd say you've got an 85% chance of having no serious problems.

King William's...
Level Contributor
16 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Specific travel Question, January 2nd 2012

A one way acr rental - Im sure Budget does one way rentals. I would be a nice drive.

King William's...
Level Contributor
16 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Specific travel Question, January 2nd 2012

I would rent a car that has a four wheel or all- wheel drive option for January, in case of snow. Very doable.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Specific travel Question, January 2nd 2012

If you have no experience driving in snow, do not plan to drive between Green Bay and Milwaukee in January.

west sussex uk
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Specific travel Question, January 2nd 2012

That's what my wife said!!

I think we'll stick to the coach.

Thanks for your help.

17. Re: Specific travel Question, January 2nd 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 27, 2012