We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

baraboo. for families?

illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
baraboo. for families?

Ok so ive looked at Traverse city its too far. I want water activities. ie boating canoing etc..beaches fun things for kids. and decent accomadation but not expensive. im travelling with three young children the oldest being 10.

ive looked at park plaza as a place to stay dont want nothing fancy but near loads would be great. Anyone stayed here? Is baraboo the sort of place for families an water activities? or can u recomend somewhere else? thanks again

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: baraboo. for families?

I think you have hit on the right spot. Baraboo has a great state park called Devil's Lake. $10 a day out of state entry. A very pretty lake, with lots of hiking available. Nice picnic area, concession stand, swimming, canoeing (rentals), kayaking, fishing.

You'd also want to see Circus World. I think weekends would be best. Lots to see and do. We loved it there. A little history, colorful displays in the museum. A live circus, one hour long. Simple acrobatics, an elephant/dog show, juggling, clowns, and you get to sit "right there."

Then, you are 15 minutes from Wisconsin Dells. Waterpark capital of the world. Go to one of them-any of them will do. Research them on this forum. I hear Riverview is good for younger children, but I am no expert on this. Take the boat ride down the river-but with 5 of you that could be expensive. There are lots of putt putts, playgrounds, go carts etc and some shopping and fun restaurants.

I am not aware of lodging in Baraboo. Sorry on that.

Baraboo, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: baraboo. for families?

a bit late for a reply, but if you consider the Baraboo area again in 2009 please repost your questions and interests. I'd be glad to help you with your planning.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: baraboo. for families?

Baraboo is a great place to take kids. I took mine to Circus World when they were 9 and 12, and we had a lot of fun. You might want to aim for June 28 to July 5, which is Parade Roll Out Days; this is the first time in five years the museum is sending its wagons to Milwaukee for the Great Circus Parade.

We stayed at the Park Plaza, which is fine for a franchise hotel, but later, with my outdoors group, we stayed at the Willowood Inn on the south edge of town, and I liked that a lot better.

It's one of those friendly, increasingly rare mom-and-pop motels, with a playground, a small outdoor pool and a fire pit people gather around at night. One cottage has a kitchen. It's closest to Devil's Lake State Park, which has a beautiful beach, and it's a lot cheaper to spend a day there than at the Dells water parks.

They've removed the dam on the Baraboo River, so it's good for canoeing, but the outfitter seems to have closed. You may want to check back closer to summer. There's also a vintage train not far away that gives excursions, the Mid-Continent Railway in North Freedom.

You can find details at midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/family_frien…

Hope you have a great time --

Beth, MidwestWeekends.com

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: baraboo. for families?

Baraboo is a great place to take kids. I took mine to Circus World when they were 9 and 12, and we had a lot of fun. You might want to aim for June 28 to July 5, which is Parade Roll Out Days; this is the first time in five years the museum is sending its wagons to Milwaukee for the Great Circus Parade.

We stayed at the Park Plaza, which is fine for a franchise hotel, but later, with my outdoors group, we stayed at the Willowood Inn on the south edge of town, and I liked that a lot better.

It's one of those friendly, increasingly rare mom-and-pop motels, with a playground, a small outdoor pool and a fire pit people gather around at night. One cottage has a kitchen. It's closest to Devil's Lake State Park, which has a beautiful beach, and it's a lot cheaper to spend a day there than at the Dells water parks.

They've removed the dam on the Baraboo River, so it's good for canoeing, but the outfitter seems to have closed. You may want to check back closer to summer. There's also a vintage train not far away that gives excursions, the Mid-Continent Railway in North Freedom.

You can find details at midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/family_frien…

Hope you have a great time --

Beth, MidwestWeekends.com

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: baraboo. for families?

Circus World

International Crane Foundation

two worthwhile stops IMO :-)

6. Re: baraboo. for families?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, September 29, 2009