We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rt 19 speedtraps

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Rt 19 speedtraps

My wife and I are heading from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach in September, heading south on I 79 to I 77. Of course there is the "shortcut" on rt 19. I've heard about the "aggressive enforcement" in and around Summersville, like ticketing for 2 or 3 mph over the limit, no warnings, preying on out of state folks. I don't want to drive the extra 50 or so miles staying on 79, but I don't want to have to drive 19 and have to stare at the speedomoter the whole time. I do not speed, I drive maybe 5 mph over the limit at times, but I certainly don't want some local "Barney Fife" to add to their towns profits by nailing me for something the State Police would overlook. Any opinions from anyone who knows firsthand

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,466 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

This area is NOTORIOUS for being a speedtrap. I live south of there and have not had to travel that way in a very long time, but our local paper always has letters to the editor complaining about this.

I DO know that there are many bad and sometimes fatal, accidents along this busy highway. People running red lights and pulling into traffic all the time. I really don't know why the police crackdown so hard on people going 2-3 miles over the speed limit. No, it's not right.

Please don't go out of your way to avoid this area, though. Just slow down, be careful and enjoy the scenery. (Maybe stop at the New River Gorge Bridge overlook;just past Summersville)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

Thanks beachlady, I just got my AAA triptik and they specifically stamped "caution-speed check" right there. there was even an article in my local paper's travel section about it. Of course , the local police deny they are doing anything wrong, and won't even admit to stopping folks for 2 or 3 over the limit. I have until September to decide which way to go. At least on I79, the state cops usually give you 5 mph cushion, and of course if you just follow the trucks, they know when to check their speed, and when to "hammer down"

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

OK, it is a 50 or so mile difference. But, which is actually faster? The shortcut, with stop and go traffic, red lights, speed limits of 45, or 35 and of course the famous Summersville"welcoming committee"--or the long way with free flowing traffic at 70 or 75 mph?

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

I agree with the others. Take Rt19. The "speed trap" is only a few miles of the shortcut.

People run down the bulk of the four lane at highway speed and forget to slow down when they hit the slower speed zones in the congested areas of Summersville and Fayettville. No big deal.

In another post you questioned the stoplights. Not enough stoplights to worry about. Maybe three or four in Summersville and maybe a couple in Fayettville. Still quicker plus you'll save a few dollars in tolls on the WV Turnpike.

On the South Carolina board you asked for directions to the beach. From Charleston,WV we run I-77 down through Charlotte and into SC. At Exit 34, Ridgeway, SC we take Rt 34 over to Lugoff, SC where we pick up I-20. Over to Florence where you pretty much follow the signs.

Approx. 8 hours driving from Charleston not counting breaks and meals and such. Yes it's more miles than the MapQuest route but your average speed is faster and it balances out to about the same driving time. Ballpark figuring I'd say 11-12 hours from Pitsburgh.

For more detailed directions write Pop2748@aol.com.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,466 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

Yes, stick with going thru Summersville. It will be quicker and really its not that bad.

The above poster said you will miss the tolls, but that is not true. You WILL still get on the turnpike

in Beckley on Interstate 77/64 south. You will only have two tolls. One is just .25 cents and the other will be $1.25.

Also be careful in Mt Hope. They have a little Barney Fife there too.

Have Fun at the beach!!

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

Said they would save some on tolls. Didn't say they'd miss all of them.

Shortcut by-passes two toll booths. Cabin Creek and Pax.

Saves $2.50 (almost enough for a gallon of gas)or whatever they might be charging that week. They're wearing out the signs changing the tolls this year.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,466 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

Yes, you are right. Sorry pop.

Darn tolls. At least there is no construction going on right now.

(I was on I-64 West Saturday. Construction is TERRIBLE)

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

You must be talking about the bridges down towards Huntington.

Pity the wide loads. To miss the narrow lanes they're being routed down Rt 52 to Williamson and back up Rt 119. Adds almost three hours to their trip.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

I guess its what I read on speedtraps.com about Summersville and Fayetteville. Of course these were all folks who were busted, but many said they were clocked for driving faster than they really were, preying on out of state folks who won't drive back here to fight a ticket. Also it seems that the local magistrate/judge who handles these is "conveniently" related to someone in the local police department. Hmmmmm....something smells fishy here. I don't really speed, like I originally said, but it appears as if an out of stater may not actually have to-to still get nailed

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

Oh and by the way pop, the tolls can't possibly be as bad as the PA turnpike (6 bucks + for a 104 mile trip from Pgh to Breezewood)... or are they that bad?