We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

Washington DC...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

We are returning to Snowshoe for our 4th Presidents' Day Weekend ski trip, with a group of 5 families (all have 5th grade kids, plus siblings). We stay in Allegheny Springs condos and cook most of our dinners together, but the adults like to go out for one nice dinner (while the kids stay in the rooms with pizza). We've really enjoyed the Red Fox Inn the past 2 years, but have heard it's closed.

What other nice restaurants are available at the top of the moutain (preferably walking distance from Allegheny Springs?) We're willing to spend $$$, as we save by eating in the rest of the time. We've been to Cheat's Pizza and the Junction in the Village, but during the holiday weekend, these are invariably over-crowded, out of food, over-priced and are lacking any elegance in atmosphere. Help - are there any alternatives??

I read that the Red Fox's owner has opened a new restaurant, "ember", at the new new Soaring Eagle Lodge. Is ember as good as Red Fox??

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,131 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

There is a little market - but VERY expensive!

And the one at the bottom of the mountain isn't much better.

If you go thru Marlinton....(or even if you don't) stop there at the Food Lion (or Krogers or whatever) and stock up. Thats what we do. Marlinton is about 25 minutes from the top of the mountain.

(The pizzas at Cheat Pizza .... I think thats what its called,...in the village are pretty good though)

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

We are at Auntie Pasta's over New Year's Weekend and it was really delicious. I'm not sure if it is under new management or not. We also love Ember-be sure to make reservations. Foxfire Grill is also great, but crowded. Be sure to get your name on the list early and then you can walk around the village with a buzzer that will let you know when your table is ready.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

We are at Auntie Pasta's over New Year's Weekend and it was really delicious. I'm not sure if it is under new management or not. We also love Ember-be sure to make reservations. Foxfire Grill is also great, but crowded. Be sure to get your name on the list early and then you can walk around the village with a buzzer that will let you know when your table is ready.

virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

Foxfire is consistant, fun atmosphere and always crowded. I have rarely been disapointed. it is useful to send one or two people early to get on the list. I dont believe Ember is as good as the Red fox was but it is still good. It is not as casual or as fun as Foxfire.

15. Re: Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, September 18, 2009