We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

Washington DC...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

We are returning to Snowshoe for our 4th Presidents' Day Weekend ski trip, with a group of 5 families (all have 5th grade kids, plus siblings). We stay in Allegheny Springs condos and cook most of our dinners together, but the adults like to go out for one nice dinner (while the kids stay in the rooms with pizza). We've really enjoyed the Red Fox Inn the past 2 years, but have heard it's closed.

What other nice restaurants are available at the top of the moutain (preferably walking distance from Allegheny Springs?) We're willing to spend $$$, as we save by eating in the rest of the time. We've been to Cheat's Pizza and the Junction in the Village, but during the holiday weekend, these are invariably over-crowded, out of food, over-priced and are lacking any elegance in atmosphere. Help - are there any alternatives??

I read that the Red Fox's owner has opened a new restaurant, "ember", at the new new Soaring Eagle Lodge. Is ember as good as Red Fox??

Mentioned in this post
Snowshoe
Snowshoe
West Virginia
Allegheny Springs
Allegheny Springs
171 Reviews
Snowshoe, WV
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,118 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

Ember and Soaring Eagle Lodge are brand new this season, so I am not at all familiar with that.

But I agree that the few other resturants up there are over-priced, crowded and well...the food just isn't that great. Maybe try Auntie Pasta's, Blue & Grey (both are new this year) or the Foxfire Grille.

Or maybe buy some steak and potatoes and wine and have a nice adult only dinner in one condo, while the kids are in another.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Mentioned in this post
Foxfire Grille
Foxfire Grille
397 Reviews
Snowshoe, WV
Virginia
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

I have to agree with BeachLady. We just got back yesterday from a similar trip with 8 families staying at Allegheny Springs. Most had 3rd graders and tons of siblings. The restaurants are very crowded and the food is not as good as what you can make yourselves.

One night, we had a "happy hour" in the hearth room of Allegheny and that went well. They shut the doors and we had the large room to ourselves for drinks and food. It was extremely fun and the kids even enjoyed it. Also, you may want to just go out for drinks at one of the many bars. The one downstairs of Allegheny has a very nice bar.

Mentioned in this post
Allegheny Springs
Allegheny Springs
171 Reviews
Snowshoe, WV
King of the East
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

Brian Ball and Mrs. Ball are no longer a item. After the split, the Red Fox closed....and Brian opened Ember in the Soaring Eagle Lodge. While Ember is a bit different and much louder....it is still very fine dining and the best you can find at 4848', in Snowshoe. Many of the Red Fox employees followed Brian to Ember. I enjoyed the food as much as Red Fox, just wasn't that thrilled with the noise. Unless you want to eat the other crap...Ember is the place to go at Snowshoe.

Mentioned in this post
Snowshoe
Snowshoe
West Virginia
Virginia Beach
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

Get a condo w/ a full kitchen...period. I just ate at Auntie Pastas and the food is very basic. It is not bad but the pasta I made at home was better. Noodles and sauce(no meat) was $15.00

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

I would never eat at Auntie Pastas again. A few years ago in summer, we went to Snowshoe, had been traveling all day and could not make it there early. Going up the mountain to and at Snowshoe, the fog was so thick you could hardly see. As soon as we got there, we checked in, threw our bags in our room, and went to Auntie Pastas to eat. It was 9:10 (they close at 10pm). It was the only restaurant open on the mountain (the ones built by Intrawest were not there).

They would not serve us!!!! They told us it was too late and to go down off the mountain to eat. (There were about 3-4 other families also wanting to eat).

We had our 2 young kids with us. It was so foggy you could barely see your own hands. We went into the bar area and begged the bar tender to at least get us some appetizers.

I thought Auntie Pastas had closed down. Darn, wish it was true - after that I would have loved to have seen them go broke. You would have thought they would have at least offered people salads.

Mentioned in this post
Snowshoe
Snowshoe
West Virginia
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,118 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

LvSun, Auntie Pasta's did close down for a couple of years.

I have never eaten there, but heard it was pretty bad, food was just average, and service was terrible. Apparently they have reopened this year.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

Thanks beachlady. Hopefully it is under new management.

Virginia
Level Contributor
431 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

We have just returned from our weekend at Snowshoe. The one restaurant we did eat at was the new Ember. We were big fans of the Red fox and considered it the only really good restaurant on the mountain.

Our family was very satisfied with our New York Strip Steaks. The other family dining with us ordered a variety of other things and were not as happy as their meals. Our waiter was rather rude at times. This did not sit well with us. We spotted one of our other waiters from the Red Fox and called him over to say hi. Iwished he had been our waiter.

All in all, I was very satisfied with our ceasar salad and our Ny strips. We ordered a dessert of an apple tart and it was very good. The restaurant is noiser and does not have that big comfy chair, man's hunting lodge feel that Red Fox did.

I would definitely return and hope to get a different waiter.

Mentioned in this post
Snowshoe
Snowshoe
West Virginia
Roanoke
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

Go to ember for a drink. Go to ember for the atmosphere, it's got a great vibe. DO NOT go to ember to eat.

Food is terrible. Really terrible. We ordered 7 different items off the menu. All were bad. Tuna poorly prepared. Kobe beef was chewy. Curry chicken had an overpowering, store-bought taste. Worse yet, dish had an unusual amount of dark meat. Ravioli has the same bad, overpowering sauce as the curry chicken. And - the bread that was delivered to the table at the start the meal was microwaved and spongy.

Becase all the food was so unacceptable, we felt at a loss to even complain. Why bother? Restaurant was packed, so I figure the owners are out to take advantage of very limited dining selection.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Snowshoe Restaurants - Presidents' Weekend 2007

sounds to me like that there is nothing good to eat on the mountain! geeze!!. my family and I can live on burgers adn fries, and pizza if necessary..

is there at least a decent place to get these things up on the mountain?

CHK