We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time "Snowshoer" has questions!

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
104 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
First time "Snowshoer" has questions!

Giving my family a trip to Snowshoe as a Christmas gift! Going over MLK weekend (2/15-2/19) and staying at Allegheny Springs. I'm a skier, age 50. My son hasn't skied but is athletic, age 11. My significant other won't be skiing but may by tubing etc, age 63. I would welcome any and all advice with tips to make the most of our trip! Restaurants that are good. Should be plan to bring food? Please send along any recommendations/advice. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Allegheny Springs
Allegheny Springs
169 Reviews
Snowshoe, WV
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,538 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time "Snowshoer" has questions!

I gather you will be heading up 77 then 64 and get on Rt. 219. Stop in either Lewisburg or Marlinton (about 30 minutes from Snowshoe) and get some food/snacks/drinks to have in your room. Food is very expensive at Snowshoe, we always stop and stock up. Allegheny Springs is very nice...we stay there too. They have their own pool, it's outside, but heated and open in Winter. There is also Split Rocks pool right beside AS which you can use too. I think the Tubing area is down the mountain at Silver Creek and there might be a shuttle you can take. We haven't been there is about 3 years, and they seem to change resturants a lot. Cheat Pizza is good, as is The Junction. There is a little market on the mountain, but again..VERY expensive. There are some nice stores in the Village. Clothes, books, toys, sporting goods, Starbucks, nick-nacks, do-dads, gizmos...all kinds of stuff. There is no night skiing at Snowshoe, but I think there is at Silver Creek. Maybe sign your son up for a short ski lesson, he might like that. There is a "kids" program...up to age 12. Might do that too. Have fun!!

Mentioned in this post
Lewisburg
Lewisburg
West Virginia
Marlinton
Marlinton
West Virginia
Allegheny Springs
Allegheny Springs
169 Reviews
Snowshoe, WV
Junction
Junction
West Virginia
Durham, North...
Level Contributor
104 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time "Snowshoer" has questions!

Thanks SO much! After seeing the posts on this forum I was afraid I wouldn't get any responses. Your advice is great! We will definitely be stopping for food prior to our arrival (and bringing stuff from home as we're in NC). You're great!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
843 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time "Snowshoer" has questions!

you can also buy discount lift tickets from liftopia and save quite a bit. The village is very nice. WHile food is a little high it is nothing that is out of line with what you would pay at most resorts. You have good timing as they are forecasting anywhere from 6 inches to 2 feet in the next few days depending on what model you look at.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,538 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time "Snowshoer" has questions!

Well....the poster is not going until Mid-January...but still, pretty sure there will be plenty of snow then too! ;)

(jgt3377 you going in Jan...not Feb. as you posted though right??)

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
104 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time "Snowshoer" has questions!

Sorry---we're going Feb 15-19 which is PRESIDENT"S DAY weekend and not MLK birthday weekend. Still plenty to snow right??? FIngers crossed!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,538 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time "Snowshoer" has questions!

Oh yeah..plenty of snow!!

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
192 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time "Snowshoer" has questions!

February should be a great time to be up there...enjoy. I agree with the comments that you got already from beach lady:

Food is generally pricy for what you get. Our favorite restaurants up there are Sunset Cantina (Mexican) and Foxfire (decent bbq, not exceptional if you are from NC). We've had mixed results at the Junction. If you would like something more upscale: South Mountain is good, but again $$. If you are going to stop along the way for groceries, I would stop in Lewisburg. The grocery store in Marlinton (Food Land) isn't very good. We just bring everything with us from home when we come, and that may be easier for you too. It's been awhile since I've stayed at AS, but they are nice condos, and I remember the kitchens being stocked in terms of equipment. Chances are good that the restaurants will be crowded then (holiday weekend), so we often just bring our own meals (pancake mix for breakfast, soups, frozen lasagna, etc). Sometimes after skiing it's nice just to crash in the condo in front of the fire while wearing sweatpants. But maybe that's just me. :-) In any case, the condo should be fine for preparing meals if that's what you want to do. Also agree that the location of AS is fantastic and convenient both to village activities, pools, and the slopes.

I also agree with getting your son skiing lessons to start. It will help him make the most of his time there and get him off to a good start (another bonus: ski school students don't need to wait in the lift line). The tubing is at Silver Creek, where they also have the night skiing. There is a shuttle that runs between Snowshoe and Silver Creek. Incidentally, your son may enjoy skiing there too. It's not as big and the runs aren't as long, but it's less crowded and there are ample runs for a beginning skier. One down side of Silver Creek is that there is no decent dining. There's a cafeteria style place, one restaurant (Misty's, which is pretty awful), and a cabin on the slopes that serves food. You may want to eat before heading over there.

Assuming you are renting equipment. You can rent through Snowshoe, but I would also compare prices at the Ski Barn at the base of the mountain.

Last bit of advice: Dress very warmly. Unless they are predicting balmy weather, it can be very, very cold at the top of the mountain. The top of Ballhooter lift may be the windiest place on the planet (or at least feels like it!) Goggles and face masks are often necessary. They will sometimes post frost bite warnings when they recommend no exposed skin. I recommend paying attention to the warnings.

HAVE FUN!

Mentioned in this post
Sunset Cantina
Sunset Cantina
114 Reviews
Snowshoe, WV
Junction
Junction
West Virginia
Lewisburg
Lewisburg
West Virginia
Marlinton
Marlinton
West Virginia
Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
192 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time "Snowshoer" has questions!

P.S. Great idea for a Christmas gift!

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
192 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time "Snowshoer" has questions!

We just got back from Snowshoe. South Mountain Grille is now open for lunch, and a very good option. Good sandwiches and priced comparably to the other sit down restaurants.

There is also a new sushi restaurant (Yodelers), which we didn't have a chance to try, but is getting good reviews.

Mentioned in this post
South Mountain Grille
South Mountain Grille
60 Reviews
Snowshoe, WV
Conover, North...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: First time "Snowshoer" has questions!

Get your lift tickets prior to arrival. Its a nightmare trying to buy them on the mountain. Agreed to bring items for your room. Most rooms have the basics, IE stove, oven, micro and fridge. Rent a locker for skis and gear if you can when you first get there, lugging things to your room every time can be nerve racking. Was up there in December and have been several times over the last 10 years. Never had a bad meal, sometimes service can be sketchy. Hope this helps.