We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowshoe in the fall

Which Snowshoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Demopolis, Alabama
Level Contributor
12 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Snowshoe in the fall

My husband and I are thinking of spending a few days at Snowshoe in September. Would we do better at Soaring Eagle or Highland? Or is there a better choice? We like the idea of daily maid service at Highland

virginia
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowshoe in the fall

Highland House is in the Village and asking for a slope side room will give you a lovely mountain view. September will be a quiet time so I would prefer Highland over Soaring Eagle. SE is newer with nicer finishes in its units and a parking garage. That's only reason to stay there. SE might feel a little isolated will no restaurant (Ember has closed and nothing will replace it until ski season - so I'm told.) SE is certainly walkable to the village, if that is your decision. My vote is HH.

We plan to go up in August for some cooler temps and the Blues and Brews festival. It's always fun.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowshoe in the fall

Definitely stay at Highland House! You could have slope view or village view. (if village view, the sunsets are amazing from the upper floors) Is there anything going on the weekend you will be there?? You will have easy access to shops and resturants right there in the village.Have fun...its so nice at Snowshoe!

Demopolis, Alabama
Level Contributor
12 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowshoe in the fall

Thank you both, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Is it true the lake closes in September? Will there be enough to do to warrant staying 3 or 4 nights?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowshoe in the fall

hmm....don't know about the lake closing in Sept. Don't know why it would.

Its beautiful down there...plus a great hiking trail that goes all around it...of course that would not close. You could go to Cass Railroad...about ...maybe 20 minutes or so away. Very cool there...ride the steam engine train up the mountain. Also...you must go to Green Bank to the Astronomy Observatory. Fascinating!!http://www.gb.nrao.edu/

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snowshoe in the fall

I will be at Snowshoe with a group tour the first week in October, staying at

Snowshoe Mountain Resort. We will be taking the vintage railroad trips.

If you are looking for peace and quiet then you might want to avoid that week.

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
160 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snowshoe in the fall

I also don't know about the lake closing. As I remember, most things remain open through the mountain biking season into October. You could certainly call the resort to find out for sure.

As for spending 3 or 4 days, it depends on what you want to do. What kinds of activities are you looking for? The village is cute, but certainly won't keep you occupied for long. A lot of the restaurants are closed then, but I think it's a lovely time to visit (both for cool weather and lack of crowds). I also would consider looking at activities "off the mountain" if you are worried about having enough to do. There is great hiking at Snowshoe itself, but plenty more along the scenic highway. The Greenbrier River trail is great for biking (if you aren't up for mountain biking on Snowshoe.) I know the Roadkill Cookoff is in Marlinton in September. I would be sure to check both the Snowshoe and Pocohontas county websites for ideas and events. We love to do things outside and don't seem to run out of things to do, but you could also just hang out and enjoy the quiet.

P.S. to Wildhare, We were surprised to see Ember closed when we were up there in July. It always seemed to be busy. Do you know what is supposed to go in that spot? Also, any idea what is going in the Taste of Asia location? And are they ever going to bring back Red Rover?

Edited: 8:09 am, July 31, 2011
virginia
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snowshoe in the fall

Ember and Red Rover were owned by same person and neither will reopen. Finances were a problem. There is a new restaurant in the Red Rover space and has very good soup and sandwich options.

Haven't heard anything about a Taste of Asia replacement. The Allegheny homeowners will surely be anxious to fill the space, just as the Soaring Eagle owners are anxious to fill the Embers vacancy.

The Red Fox vacancy is a shame (same Ember and Red Rover owner) and the chatter is very hopeful that a restaurant will be open in that space by this ski season.

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
160 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snowshoe in the fall

Thanks for the info. Too bad about both Ember and Red Rover. That leaves a gap both at the high and low price range of restaurants up there. Hopefully they get some new ones soon.

Snowshoe, West...
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snowshoe in the fall

Upon arrival, you might wish to stop in at the old Welcome Center located at the entrance to the resort. It is now the Linwood Community Library at Snowshoe, and a Pocahontas County Visitors Center. Lots of information available about other things to do in the area while visiting Snowshoe. Nothing prettier than the leaves changing in Pocahontas County during the fall, and because of the different elevation levels, there is always great color, from about mid September through mid October.

Demopolis, Alabama
Level Contributor
12 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snowshoe in the fall

Highland House was the perfect place to stay! We've just gotten home from our Snowshoe vacation, and couldn't have been happier! We rented a one-bedroom, so we had plenty of space, and we enjoyed the kitchen more than we thought we would. Being in the village was great, as there was only one convention group there, so there was no noise, but we had easy access to everything that was open. After the convention group left, we truly felt as if we were the only people on the mountain!

We went to the New River Gorge, Blackwater Falls, Seneca Rocks, Spruce Knob, and then spent an entire day on Snowshoe at the lake - geocaching was a lot of fun, we had never done that before.

Thanks, everyone, for your excellent advice!