We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SnowShoe, WV is not for our young family

Which Snowshoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kentucky
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
SnowShoe, WV is not for our young family

We have 3 & 5 yr old boys. My husband and I have skied all over the world. Now having children old enough to learn to ski, we knew we would be making decisions on where to ski based on good ski schools and good enviroments for children to learn to ski. In 2008 we took our then 3 yr old to Snowmass, Co. We were so encourage that they had him skiing the bunny slope by the end of the first day. Last yr we took them both (2 & 4yrs) to Beaver Creek and Vail ski schools. By the last day our oldest was able to ski the whole lower part of the mtn. We were so excited to be able to now share something we love so much w/our boys. After the attempted terrorist attack on an airliner in Detroit at xmas09, my husband and I decided airtravel w/children right now is just to difficult. So we decided to do something different...drive somewhere for our ski vacation which meant probably somewhere east. How bad can it be? No airtravel fees, no car rental fees, accomodations and lift tickets are cheaper and even better IntraWest is now running SnowShoe (they run many great service resorts that we have been to...from Whisler/Blackcomb in British Columbia to SanDestin Fl). We were so excited to get here. They let us checkin early, we rented the boys skis and boots then found this neat indoor play area BigTop to finish the day. Day 2, (it is 6 degrees outside) I had forgotten from being here 20yrs ago that SnowShoe is backwards than any other ski resort i had been to. The resort is at the top of the mtn. You start at the top and ski down. So the top where all the restraunts and accomodations are is extremely windy and cold. The "magic carpet" and bunny slope lift is at the top! Where the wind is swirling and extremely difficult for children to navigate. After our children cried and screamed from the frigid winds that blew them down, my husband asked the concierge (at Alleghany Springs) if there was an area we could take our children to work w/them further down the mtn where it would not be so windy. He said, "Go to the SilverCreek area. If it is windy here, it is NEVER windy there & you can use the same lift ticket." So we loaded the car to drive away from our ski-in ski-out accomodations to the SilverCreek area. SilverCreek was just as windy, the ski school lady said "it is pretty bad today" I asked if it was always this windy she said, "not ALL the time"

We turned around & went back to SnowShoe, checked the boys into a very clean and well run daycare at Shavers Center ($50/child for a half day), then explored the mtn ourselves. We had 3 great runs (the wind did die down after getting off the top) then they closed the entire mtn for high winds at 2pm. So we decided to get a hot chocolate at the bar at Shavers Center before picking up the kids, the bar had NO warm drinks including hot chocolate. Crazy! We had 1 hr of skiing, pd for 2 children in daycare and rented skiis. I asked the "high preformance" shop employees if it is always like this...they both said out of a week that they MIGHT get one or two days tops without this high of winds. Now i know why I could not rent skis like other places for skiing 5 out of seven days. You have to rent by the day and NO returns. My husband estimated 40-50mph constant winds w/60-65mph gusts. We are going to make the best of the last couple days, but this is not a good locations for our family at this young of age. Also, do not expect to stay connected if you are a Verizon cell phone customer. At&T is available but limited.

We do NOT recommend this mtn if you have any type 1 skiers.

We do NOT recommend this mtn if you expect friendly service.

We do NOT recommend this mtn if you like high end accomodations.

We do NOT recommend this mtn if you have people in your party that enjoys walking around a village and shopping. It is so windy and snow blowing so hard you cannot see the next bldging to know where you are going. We spoke to one family that has been here for 3 days and their children 9 &10 yrs, that have been skiing for 7yrs, will NOT leave the hotel, b/c they are so frightened of the wind.

We DO recommend BigTop play area, Shaver Center Day Care, and getting your groceries an hour out of Snowshoe.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,027 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SnowShoe, WV is not for our young family

Sorry your trip was not ideal.

But....no one can control the weather. (sadly)

I guess you did not see any weather reports....there where High Wind

Warnings and Advisories for most of West Virginia.....most of the East Coast too I think. We were in the middle of a huge, major snowstorm!!

Allegheny is a very nice...and I think...high end hotel. Never had any problems there.

Hope the next few days are better. The weather is supposed to be anyway.

virginia
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SnowShoe, WV is not for our young family

I am so sorry you had such a disappointing experience at Snowshoe. The East Coast is having huge challenges now with weather and Snowshoe sounds like no exception. We are having high winds right now with white out conditions in Virginia. I can only imagine what it must have felt like on top of the mountain. For what it's worth, Silver Creek is usually not windy and is a good place for children.

Snowshoe has been a pleasant ski experience for us and it is wonderful to be able to drive. We won't give up skiing out West or Europe but Snowshoe fits the bill when we choose not to fly.

chesapeake
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SnowShoe, WV is not for our young family

Cannot belive they are complaining about the wind. I suppose snowshoe should enclose the entire ski area with a dome alleviate this problem.

these folks should take up a mundane indoor sport.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SnowShoe, WV is not for our young family

I am so sorry you had a bad experience. There were high wind warnings for the area, as with much of the east coast, and the snow storms have been really hitting hard this winter. We have skiied at Silver Creek and didn't have any winds. We are going again in March. Here's hoping the weather cooperates!

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SnowShoe, WV is not for our young family

From the title of your post, I expected some horror story about wild college parties, evil daycare workers, and vulgar language. Instead, you told us a story about how your kids couldn't ski because of the wind. And it sounded from your tone that you were blaming the employees of Snowshoe for the wind.

Perhaps you weren't aware, but the entire East Coast has been affected by record winter weather storms, including blizzards. It's been in most of the newspapers: www.kentucky.com/471/story/1134668.html

Despite what you heard from the employees, it is NOT common to have 40 to 50 mile per hour sustained winds ANYWHERE in West Virginia... much less on the top of Snowshoe Mountain. However, when there is a record snow storm and blizzard, you might just get some wind:

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local.html…

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
160 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SnowShoe, WV is not for our young family

No such thing as bad weather...only bad clothing.

Interestingly, we have a friend who was at Snowmass this week, and he reported bare spots on some of the trails. We were at Snowshoe this weekend, and the skiing was incredible.

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
160 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SnowShoe, WV is not for our young family

In giving this a little more thought...I think the problem is that Snowshoe is not "out west." It seems that when people are disappointed in it, it usually is because they are using it as a substitute for going out West. No matter who is running the resort, it can never be the same as places in the Rockies. It will have less reliable weather, usually be colder, icier, more crowded etc. We go there because we can afford to go often, can drive there in 3 hours, and feel that it is the best that the mid Atlantic has to offer.

Florida
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: SnowShoe, WV is not for our young family

I agree completely. Snowshoe does not cater to families. The staff seems bitter and disappointed. The ski conditions are unacceptable, and for the love of god why would they put that resort at the top of the mountain. If the village was at the bottom, it could be much more user friendly. To sum up my experience.... Snowshoe never again!

chesapeake
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: SnowShoe, WV is not for our young family

This is the kind of response I would expect from a floridiot.

virginia
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SnowShoe, WV is not for our young family

For those who don't enjoy the "upside down mountain" in the winter might consider it "almost heaven" in the summer when the temperature is a wonderful 70ish degrees most of the time. There is something great about breaking out a sweatshirt in the middle of August on that mountain. Even the thunderstorms are magnificent. Quite a few Floridians spend their summers at Snowshoe.