We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

early closing?

Westminster...
Level Contributor
422 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
early closing?

Isn't this very early in the year for Snowshoe to close - I remember skiing in April @ Snowshoe when i was in college.

They started their value season on the 16th & closed less than a week later

They were bragging about how much snow they got this year

Is this when they normally close based on past years?

Mentioned in this post
Snowshoe
Snowshoe
West Virginia
Snowshoe, West...
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: early closing?

I think they base their decision on the number of reservations they have. It is a financial decision, not based on the amount of snow. They have to have so many people on the mountain in order to justify the expense of staying open. Unfortunately, when some of us are still thinking about snow fun, the majority of the market, think Northern Virginia/DC area, are thinking about golf.

Mentioned in this post
Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
201 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: early closing?

Yes, even just a few years ago the scheduled closing date was the second weekend in April. This year it was scheduled to be the end of March, and then they closed a week early. It's hard to complain, because they opened a week early and we got a lot of great skiing this winter, but I still wasn't ready for the season to end. As it turns out, it looks like this weekend wouldn't have been great anyway.

3. Re: early closing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 15, 2009