We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay with teens

TN
2 posts
Save Topic
Best place to stay with teens

Planning on going to Snowshoe in a couple of weeks, and wanted feedback on the best place to stay with teens. On the map the Village with ski-in/ski-out looks appealing, but I gather from other postings I don't want to be in the Mountain Lodge. I don't need high end accomodations, but I don't want to dread going back to the room either.

Any suggestions on best places to stay around the village?

Also, are places like Powdermonkey and TreeHouse a hike to the village area?

Mentioned in this post
Snowshoe
Snowshoe
West Virginia
Corduroy Inn
Corduroy Inn
#1 of 3 B&Bs / Inns in Snowshoe
Serenity Now
Serenity Now
#2 of 3 B&Bs / Inns in Snowshoe
Inn at Snowshoe
Inn at Snowshoe
#3 of 3 B&Bs / Inns in Snowshoe
virginia
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay with teens

The village properties are hotel like in size so can be tight with teens. I don't know how many are in your party but staying at some of the closer condos might be a good choice since everyone is old enough to walk 5 min to get a bite, go to the Big Top for arcade entertainment or to the pool in the village.

Powdermonkey, Stemwinder and Whistlepunk are best choices in my opinion since walkable to village and very ski in ski out to beginner slopes at Powdermonkey lift and across the street from Western Territory for more challenging skiing. Easy to pop back in for breaks and meals in these particular complexes.

All units are individually owned and these properties are older than in the village but they are popular because of their excellent location. Some have been beautifully remodeled while others are stuck in the 80's.

Sprucerealty.com shows the individual units as opposed to the representative unit on snowshoe's website. You'll find it helpful to search through the rentals.

TN
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay with teens

Great feedback. Thanks. Was comcerned that PowderMonkey was too far. Have 2 adults, two 17 yr old girls and one 14 yr old boy, so we will need 2+ bedrooms. A 5 minute walk isn't bad.

virginia
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay with teens

If you go to Snowshoemtn.com and look at Real Estate opportunities, the properties for sale have interior photos. The units are usually in the rental program. In this case you'd be looking at North Mountain properties. The two Whistlepunk properties listed (a 3 and 2 BR) are very nice. I've been in them myself.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,089 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay with teens

Mountain Lodge isn't that bad. We have stayed there in a two bedroom condo, was very adequate for the weekend. Nice thing about ML location, its in the village, but you don't get the nighttime noise from the resturants/bars when you are trying to sleep.

Also, Split Rocks pool is a very short walk away...something your teens would love to do, and you wouldn't have to worry about them walking around by themselves if you don't want to stay with them.

Rimfire, Highland House, Seneca, and Expedition Station and Allegheny Springs are all very nice too...especially AS with its own pool, but they will probably be a little more expensive.

Powdermonkey...in my opinion..is too far to walk.

(but, I've always stayed in the village..just more convenient...IMO)

Mentioned in this post
Expedition Station
Expedition Station
65 Reviews
Snowshoe, WV
Allegheny Springs
Allegheny Springs
171 Reviews
Snowshoe, WV
Snowshoe, West...
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay with teens

I was in an Expedition Station unit (412 actually) that was called a two-bedroom plus. It had a den with a fold out queen size, two king-size bedrooms, and three full baths. around 1100 square feet located right in the village. You might want to inquire about something like that. The views, since it was fourth floor, were to die for out over the mountains and ski slopes.

Mentioned in this post
Expedition Station
Expedition Station
65 Reviews
Snowshoe, WV
virginia
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay with teens

Everyone has good information to share.

I would add that if you plan to dine out or swim frequently, then village lodging will be more convenient without a 5 min walk.

For my family, because we mostly dine in and we think of convenience in terms of trail access, we like the Powdermonkey lift area since it is closest to all levels- green to black.

I enjoy staying in the village too and agree that Mountain Lodge is not that bad. I prefer other lodging but It's a good price point and a terrific location.

Virginia
Level Contributor
431 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay with teens

It seems some of your kids are old enough to be independent and therefore would recommend staying in the village. This way they are within walking distance of your room. The walking to the other properties may seem too far in the cold weather (although they will be larger!) Cell phones don't work on the mountain, so bring walkie talkies that have a decent range.

Virginia
Level Contributor
431 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay with teens

Oh one thing, I am with wildhare on the outside village properties tending to be larger and quieter at night, but as my teens get older, they like to go to the village at night (pools/hot tubs/ and also the big top had a teen dance while we were there last).

I had to drive them to the dance in a snowstorm!

LOL Mine are 16 and almost 15 and they said it seemed most of the kids were their age so lots of fun.

If you want to tube, you can buy your tickets ahead of time by calling up. We did this on the holiday weekend because we were squeezed out of it several other times this winter. (tubing is at silver creek). We found a good time is the dinner our 5-7pm. Less crowded and just getting slick.

Have fun. :)

9. Re: Best place to stay with teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, October 20, 2009