We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from DC - directions & groceries?

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from DC - directions & groceries?

We will be driving from the DC area to Snowshoe in Feb. From what I have read, the best directions are to take 66W to 81 South to 55 West (through Petersburg) to 28 (through Greenbank) and then 66W (through Cass) to Snowshoe. Can anyone confirm that this is the fastest (and hopefully least car-sickness inducing) way?

Also, are there any recommendations for where to pick up groceries/beer along this route?

Virginia
Level Contributor
280 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving from DC - directions & groceries?

Driven both ways and 55 is definitely a better way and was faster for us. Car sickness will hit you hard on the 250 route too as the switch backs over the mountain are bad. You also have to consider the weather when driving and 250 would definitely not be my choice with snow falling. A plus about taking the 55 route(nice road) is you hit 2 McDonalds along with other food/gas places around the 1/2 way point.

As far as driving time, we usually average 4hrs 15 mins coming from Fairfax, VA and this includes a quick stop for food. This driving has always been done in the morning during daylight hours when the traffic was light. If you attempt this drive at night (especially with winter weather), it could take much longer.

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving from DC - directions & groceries?

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I needed to know!

Westminster...
Level Contributor
422 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving from DC - directions & groceries?

It takes me a little over 3 hours from the point where you get off of 81 onto 55 - now that is assuming dry roads & not much traffic in the couple of towns you go through & no stopping - also not getting caught behind a slow moving truck - It can be tough to pass on Rt 55 & 28.

The 25 miles on Rt 259 is great - it is a shame that Highway doesn't go all the way out to Rt 81

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving from DC - directions & groceries?

That highway is actually 55, and also referred to as "Corridor H".

There are NO plans to ever link it to I-81, from what I hear, Virginia says, "not in our backyard you don't."

There are plans to build from Wardensville to the State Line (whoopie doo) but don't plan on driving it until 2027 or later.

If you do a search on Corridor H, you can find plans, route and timeline.

NEVER speed in Wardensville BTW. Notorious speed trap.

15. Re: Driving from DC - directions & groceries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, October 17, 2009