We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open terrain

Which Snowshoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westminster...
Level Contributor
402 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Open terrain

I would think if they actually received 44 inces of snow as they are claiming that there would be more than 6 trails open at this point

I know they have some set up and grooming to do when they first open a trail - but i would think that much snow would allow them to open most of the basin.

I know if the local places around here got 44 inches they would have 100% open and be loving it.

Are they holding back in case of a big thaw in December?

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Open terrain

Don't know the answers to your questions but..

I checked on snowfall for Canaan (hard to find since the resorts aren't open yet) and have found reports saying 30"+ and 44" of snow so far this season. So Snowshoe could have received 44".

However, that does not mean there is 44" of snow on the ground. For example, the first snowfall was Oct. 27 but then it got warm, sun has been shining, etc. so some snow has melted off.

Also, I don't know where in the resorts they measure snow but you can get more at the top of the mountain and not as much at the bottom.

When we went up to Canaan last weekend there was about 18" on the handrails on the back porch. (Family had been there the week before so the 18" had accummulated in the week). There wasn't that much on the ground but the porch is in the shade, no ground warmth to melt it, etc.

Even with all the snow received to date, the resorts in Canaan were still making snow for the slopes - the snow received so far this season had not all stayed on the ground.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Open terrain

Guess I should have looked at their website first. Does say 44" in 10 days. Now says up to 20 trails open.

PS: Current economy and housing situation is hitting the ski resort areas in WV. If you are looking for a deal, I saw in the paper that on Dec 6 there is an auction to sell condos at Soaring Eagle at Snowshoe.

Snowshoe, West...
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Open terrain

The Soaring Eagle auction is for 7 two-bedroom units. It is an ablsolute auction.

The same day another company is doing an auction of 20 units (currently) and they will have reserves.

Should be interesting. I live here at Snowshoe and wonder what effect it will have on the housing values?

snowshoe
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Open terrain

Hi Terps, I'm a pro ski patroller, worked the 26th and 27th. The basin is almost fully open. SN opened early with 6 trails, but rapidly expanded. At this point, everything in the basin is open, except Choker which needs more man made to build a base, cover the waterflows, gullies, etc. Soaring Eagle Lift is open, but they're still building man made on Widow, and the 2 new trails Sawmill and Camp 99.

Weather is staying below freezing, so they're making snow every night, and the mountain is in better shape this early in the year than any in the last 5 I can remember.

There is a lot of man made on Cupp and Shays. Unless we get a big heat wave, Western will open in a week, although Lower Shays may not be ready.

The steeper the slope, the more man made base it needs to be able to groom it into condition. The skiing was great on Thanksgiving Day !

Westminster...
Level Contributor
402 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Open terrain

Thanks for the report - It's always good to get info first hand.

I have seen the trail count on the snow report quadruple since Thanksgiving - Great start to the season so far.

That would be great if they get the western side open this year. Keep us posted - thanks again

snowshoe
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Open terrain

Word is that if the weather hangs in there, Cupp Run will open this Saturday top to bottom (no midstation). It's snowing now and they're making snow.

It's a combination of snow and manpower to get Cupp open, so even if it doesn't make it by Saturday, I suspect it will be ready soon.

7. Re: Open terrain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 14, 2009