We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WVU football game

oh
Level Contributor
52 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
WVU football game

Anyone have suggestions where to park for game? I read something about parking at Basketball Colisiem and riding bus over....is that a decent option, or are there any places you can park closer and pay?

Also, the only decent price we could find on a hotel was in Fairmont. The rooms in Morgantown were at least $189 per night. Any thoughts on Fairmont.

Thanks!

Fairmont, West...
Level Contributor
285 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WVU football game

There is football parking available at some of the local businesses that are closed on game day. Two in particular are on Pineview Drive and Burroughs Street. These are donated to one of the local Boy Scout troops to sell parking as a fund raiser for their programs. It is $10 to park and is a 15 -20 minute walk to the stadium. Come out and support the Boy Scouts. What would you like to know about Fairmont. It's about 15 miles south of Morgantown via I-79. Generally a quiet place. One really good restaurant - Murale's specializing in Italian food. Bob Evans, Cracker barrel, couple of Chinese restaurants. Much wider selection of food in either Morgantown or Clarksburg, which is another 15 or so miles farther south on I- 79. Some bars, primarily for younger crowd - Fairmont State University is located here also. Probably not the most exciting nightlife - you would do better in Morgantown. Any other questions, just ask.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WVU football game

One of the Econo lodges in Morgantown still says it has rooms (for Saturday night) at $100. Go to econolodge.com, the link is too long to put on here. I have never stayed there but the travelocity reviews are ok.

Wheeling, WV
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WVU football game

If you don't mind the 30-40 mile drive, a places to stay that is cheaper than Morgantown is in Friendsville, MD.

…yahoo.com/info-27437777-yough-valley-motel-…

http://www.riversidehotel.us/hotel.html

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WVU football game

Hotels are ridiculous in Morgantown on game weekends. Definitely look outside of town, and as saratogarox said, Fairmont would be a great choice. Muriale's is my favorite restaurant in the entire state!

As for parking, the "official" University parking spots are all sold for the season. But like any college town, there will be businesses that will let you park in their lot for a fee, as well as families who will allow you to park in their yard for $10. There are two churches between the Coliseum and Stadium on Patteson Drive that offer free or cheap parking, and as with the example above about the Scouts, the money goes to a good cause.

Depending on where you are coming from, you may find other areas with cheaper hotels. For example, if you are coming from the north, there is cheaper lodging in Washington, PA. If you are coming from the East, then as spinnerdolphin pointed out, Friendsville, MD has cheaper lodging.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
83 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WVU football game

Is there a hotel in Morganstown close enough that one might walk to the stadium from the hotel/motel?

Fairmont, West...
Level Contributor
285 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WVU football game

Here are several hotels within walking distance of the stadium - these get pretty good reviews. I left out a couple that are close but receive really bad reviews.

Residence Inn

Hilton Garden Inn

Euro Suites Hotel

Hampton Inn

The only one I have stayed in is Euro Suites and that was 20 years ago.

Fairmont, West...
Level Contributor
285 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WVU football game

Here are several hotels within walking distance of the stadium - these get pretty good reviews. I left out a couple that are close but receive really bad reviews.

Residence Inn

Hilton Garden Inn

Euro Suites Hotel

Hampton Inn

The only one I have stayed in is Euro Suites and that was 20 years ago.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WVU football game

There's a Residence Inn and a Hampton Inn pretty close at least close enough to walk but not just right next door. Probably 10/15 minute walk. Does LSU play WVU in 2011 at Morgantown.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
83 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WVU football game

Thank you very much, rox and axle. Yes, LSU plays West Virginia in Morgantown on Sept. 24.

Ajax, Canada
Level Contributor
218 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WVU football game

DRPC12, thanks for the thread.....I was going to ask the same question.

I've got tickets for the Oct 1 game vs. Bowling Green. (Was hoping for LSU tickets but did not want to buy the 3-game pack) I'm staying in Washington PA as the hotels were much cheaper there.