We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fossil Hunting Sites?

Which Martinsburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Fossil Hunting Sites?

Does anyone know of good fossil hunting sites within 40 miles or so of Martinsburg? We are going ot be in the area and would like to do some fossil hunting~

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fossil Hunting Sites?

I've never gone out on purpose looking for fossils but have found a few around "high walls" in southern WV. High walls are the rock walls around road construction sites and mines.

They cut back the hill side exposing several seams(layers) of rock, shale and coal. At the bottom of these walls are piles of loose shale. Sometimes you can find fossils in those ples of shale.

I don't know how the hills and mountains of the Eastern Panhandle compare to the ones in southern half of state. Down this way the seams are level through the mountain.

There's a rest area overlook on I 68 west of Hancock MD that shows the seams following the contour of the mountain. They're curved. How that might effect fossils....I don't know.

Satsuma, Alabama
Level Contributor
188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fossil Hunting Sites?

if you do a search for "fossils west virginia" you will get some good info sites with type and locations for differant fossils. Have you been to calvert cliffs? I hear this is place is well known up your way.

3. Re: Fossil Hunting Sites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, September 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Martinsburg
More Martinsburg Topics