We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunbar Travelodge - DISGUSTING!

Charleston, SC
1 post
Save Topic
Dunbar Travelodge - DISGUSTING!

Stayed there last night (10/28/04) The room was dirty. The furniture was sticky, as well as the floor. The bathroom was old and rusty. The curtains had brown stains all over them and were falling apart. But the worst part was what happened this morning when I went to grab my shoes from under the bed. I got a hold of a pair of men's dirty underwear that were left under there - not mine of course. That's when I decided to go downstairs and complain. It takes a lot to make me mad. The underwear did it. I picked up the underwear with a plastic bag, took it down to the front desk, and explained to the desk clerk about the filthy conditions we had endured. She said "I'm sorry about that, we'll talk to the housekeeper." That's it. So, I asked to speak with the manager. Told her the story, got a whole $10.00 refund off the $50.00 I paid. I was not happy and will never stay in a Travelodge again. I advise others of the same. I DO have a suggestion. There is a coupon in the Traveler's magazine for Ramada Plaza Hotel in downtown Charleston. You can pick up these coupon books at most travel plazas. It gives you a room rate of $57.95. (It's regularly $112.00 and up.) Needless to say we did not stay over at Travelodge, and decided to give the Ramada a try. It was FANTASTIC! We travel 6 days a week and have stayed at a lot of places. This was the best. Can't say enough about it. Clean, Beautiful, Pool, Sauna, Nautilus workout room, Parking, Lounge, Full breakfast. For less than $60!

We will stay there every time we are in the Charleston area.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
WV
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunbar Travelodge - DISGUSTING!

What I think is interesting is that they no longer have a pool yet they haven't made sure to update the travel search engines such as Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity. I was ready to book online until I decided to call the hotel directly only to discover they took out the pool and replaced it with a lounge. I also had no idea the hotel was in such desperate state as per your post. Thanks for your posting which will save me $45.

PITTSBURGH
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunbar Travelodge - DISGUSTING!

hey l shaffer-i read your post! probably would never stay in dunbar, but you sure write a good story-laughed hysterically-sorry for your bad experience-but ! oakey

NJ (of course!)
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunbar Travelodge - DISGUSTING!

OMG!!!!!! Lucky you didn't look any further under that bed! By the way, they didnt happen to be size 34s?

KY
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunbar Travelodge - DISGUSTING!

Um, "Yikes!"

NJ (of course!)
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunbar Travelodge - DISGUSTING!

just joshing Mommy :)

Level Contributor
15 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunbar Travelodge - DISGUSTING!

Seems as if that Travelodge location is consistently disgusting. Another inexpensive option in the area is the Microtel in South Charleston. Nothing fancy but the room was clean and comfortable during a visit there last year. Coupon available in travel book as well bringing the price to under $40. For a much nicer room, though at a higher price, the Wingate Inn in South Charleston is very nice - based on the one time I stayed there. The breakfast bar is great, room was clean, and though there isn't a pool they do have a whirlpool and small workout room. Hotel is located right of off I-64.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
NJ (of course!)
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dunbar Travelodge - DISGUSTING!

I ALWAYS stay at Microtel when I'm looking for a good budget hotel. They NEVER accept conversions so you ALWAYS know what to expect. I agree with your comments on the Wingate chain too, if you are looking to spend more money.

Get answers to your questions about Dunbar