We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attractions

Which Davis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
778 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Attractions

In a few weeks I may be in Davis, WV. We've looked at Canaan Valley State Park and Blackwater Falls. How do you rate these attractions and is there any other attractions in this area or from the area from Davis to Pittsburgh that are worth visiting?

Thanks.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attractions

Seneca Rocks is nice and has quite a view if you walk the trail to the top. We like Dolly Sods as well. 4000' high plateau that will let you look down into Canaan Valley or across the ridges to the East. You get great views on top by driving. To look down into Canaan requires a fairly long hike.

I like that whole area. Its very pretty and diverse.

We put pictures from our visits over there on our web site. www.AlandSueJohnson.com Click on Almost Heaven, WV in the menus.

The links to Big Bend aren't too far from there either but I don't know it would be worth the drive. There is a menu item called Scenic Drive that has pictures from that area too.

Spruce Knob is the highest point in the state and is kind of interesting at the top. Its about 11 miles south of Seneca Rocks. The road is decent from what we could tell. We didn't make it clear to the top this last time because there were low lying clouds there.

lasvegas
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attractions

How long of a drive was it?

We are driving from Pgh to Harrisburg Va, and was thinking of going that scenic way, but it may take too long?

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attractions

By Pgh, you mean Pittsburgh? It will take about 3 hours to get to Canaan Valley.

There are 2 routes to choose from going from Pittsburgh to Canaan Valley (these are the best 2 routes -- we/family drives this a lot).

Pittsburgh to Morgantown, WV is about 1 hour. From Morgantown, you can either take:

1. Takes about 2 hours: At Morgantown take I-68 to the Friendsville exit to Deep Creek, Md. to Oakland, Md to Loch Lynn (Rt. 560) to Gormania, WV to Bayard, WV to Thomas, WV to Canaan Valley (I did not list all the route numbers).

(From Oakland, you could also take Rt. 219 all the way to Thomas but we usually go through Gormania - not as curvy).

2. Takes about 2 1/2 hours: At Morgantown, take I-79 to the Weston/Buckhannon exit (Exit 99). Rt. 33 to Buckhannon and through Elkins then to Harmon then Rt. 32 to Canaan Valley. You have 4 lane roads all the way to Elkins.

Both ways are very scenic. I think Elkins to Canaan is the prettiest of any of the drives. My son lives in Morgantown and goes to Canaan a lot - he always takes the Friendsville to Gormania route.

Hope that helps with the first leg of the trip.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attractions

Checked out the route Yahoo/MapQuest would send you - it shows going through Grafton. I have traveled that way a couple times and the roads are very very curvy (plus the scenery is not as pretty). According to the map search engine - it says it would be quicker - but don't believe that. You will be traveling slower because of the roads. My guys travel all over the state and we are at Canaan a lot - if it was a better route, they would be taking it.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attractions

Ah, gotta beg to differ with you!

Taking route 50 from Grafton to Rowlesburg is very windy, but VERY scenic. And what would a trip to Canaan Valley be without a stop at Cool Springs?

I live in Morgantown and travel to Canaan Valley often. The "best" route would be to travel down I-79 to Exit 99 (Weston) and take rt 33 East, which is 4-lane all the way to Elkins.

However, the quickest route takes you over the mountains and is very curvy. But, it is a magnificent drive and you can be in Davis in 1 1/2 hour (maybe a little longer, if you aren't used to driving on curvy roads).

From Pittsburgh:

- Interstate 79 South to Morgantown

- Exit 148 onto Interstate 68 East for 1 mile

From Morgantown:

- Interstate 68 to exit #1 (University Avenue)

- Rt 119 South to Grafton

- Rt 50 East to the Rowlesburg turnoff

- Rt 72 South to Parsons (pass through Etam - the home of the US and AT&T international communications center - very interesting to see the giant dishes).

- Rt 219 East to Thomas

- Rt 32 South to Davis/ Canaan Valley

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attractions

If you stay on rt 72 in Parsons, it ends up near the Canaan Valley Resort. But, it is a very windy, slow-driving road.

7. Re: Attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, September 01, 2009