We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Q, this one about food

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,499 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Another Q, this one about food

After my previous Q in this forum was answered [Yay!], I'm posting another one.

I'm as Embassy Suites the week of 3/24 and am seeking places to eat dinner. I'll be dining alone & likely sit at a bar. From googlemaps, I see Rio Grande is closeby. And Tidewater Grill [their online menu has not been updated since October 2013]. Anyone with suggestions please post

edit: I prefer to dine at places that are not chains, especially national chains. As I could eat the same dish at home

Edited: 10:18 am, March 18, 2014
Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,499 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Q, this one about food

>> From googlemaps, I see<< Fifth Quarter. Please post opinions on these places and please feel free to add more suggestions. At this time, I am going with finding restaurants on a map

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Q, this one about food

last time I was in Charleston, I ate at Bluegrass Kitchen and it was good: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g58947-d10…

Looks like it is about a mile and a half away from embassy suites: http://goo.gl/maps/ZnJdr

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,278 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Q, this one about food

Yes....Bluegrass Kitchen is a great recommendation! Tidewater is very good too....ate there a few months back. Excellent. Pies and Pints on Capitol St. is great too! (specialty pizzas)

Fifth Quarter used to be a great restaurant back in the day. Haven't been there for a while.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Q, this one about food

Here are restaurants within walking distance of the Embassy Suites:

Pies and Pints for Craft Beers and Designer Pizzas: www.piesandpints.net/charleston-west-virginia

Soho's Italian Restaurant in the Market District is excellent food: http://sohoswv.com/

Recovery Sports Grill (It is a chain, but with local flair): recoverysportsgrill.com/locations/charleston…

The 5th Quarter is still excellent. Good steaks, good service, good prices: http://www.fifthquarterofcharleston.com/

Across the Street from the 5th Quarter is the Chop Steakhouse (it is actually in the Mall). Very good steaks, but expensive: http://hallschophouse.com/

The Tidewater Grill is the best seafood in Charleston.

And finally, there is a brew pub in Charleston on Quarier Street called the Charleston Brewing Company: http://www.charlestonbrewingcompany.com/

Their website says that Black Sheep Burrito and Brews now occupies their restaurant. I've heard very good things about their food.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,499 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Q, this one about food

Wow! ↑ many suggestions and so quickly! Thank you all, I appreciate this. I am starting at the bottom and working my way up the suggestions, and so far, I found the website for Black Sheep http://www.blacksheepwv.com/ This list will be fun to go through & check out.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,499 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Q, this one about food

Oh Mah Garsh! I certainly enjoyed staying in Charleston. And I also got to see the inside of the old Daniel Boone Hotel. And a utility worker, who perhaps thought I belonged there, informed me that Elvis stayed there in 1975, and had rented 60+rooms on the Penthouse floor [now, I believe he'd said 63 rooms, but I am unsure, so 60+ should cover it] I'll be back

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,278 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Q, this one about food

Glad you had a good time! Where did you stay? Where did you eat?

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,499 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Q, this one about food

I stayed at Embassy Suites. There was a 12 screen movie theater right down Washington St [I wish I had time to watch a movie]. Since Washington St is one way, it's easier to walk to/from it to/from Embassy Suites. And the way I'd heard about Daniel Boone Hotel was from 2 employees at Embassy Suites. And I admit it. I'm embarrassed to type where I ate. Tuesday, it snowed for like 20 hours. For the most part, it didn't stick, and the Sun came out 3 different times ~ I was looking for snowbows [ya know, a rainbow, but with snow]. It didn't lay on much other than grass and automobiles, BUT I did get to walk through a HEAVY snowsquall. It was snowing so hard, tire tracks on the streets were getting covered after cars passed. And I was on foot. Gee, thanks Mother Nature.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,278 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Q, this one about food

Yes, Mother Nature hasn't been kind to us lately...snow, sun, snow, sun.

So....I'm guessing.........you possibly had mall food? McD's? Hotel? Vending machine? lol

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,499 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Q, this one about food

>>you possibly had mall food? McD's? Hotel? Vending machine?<< Yes, I ate in the hotel. I ate at Athletic Club Bar. I didn't want to type this after all the suggestions posted. BUT. I was tired from work and there is a HH w/cocktails included in the hotel lobby daily, so I was also too tipsy to be adventurous. I was mostly too tired to eat. One night a green salad. Another night, a bowl of soup. The most I ate one night was a bowl of soup + Oysters Rockefeller. One time, in bandcamp.. ←tee~hee, I couldn't resist typing that. Actually: one night, after HH & dining at the bar, I'd had too much to drink + tired from work and walked right into a wall in the Men's room. Anyways, I'll be back and hope Mother Nature doesn't schedule a Nor'easter again during my next visit