We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Celebration

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
61 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary Celebration

My question is similar but somewhat different from a recent post on this forum. I'd like to surprise my wife with a weekend getaway to celebrate our anniversary. I just found that I can get fantastic airfares from Chicago to Charleston but the question is where to go? We're looking for more of a resort type stay. A lake, river, picturesque scenery would all be pluses. Lake Summersville looks great but I'm not seeing any resort type properties. Am I missing something there? Where else should we consider staying? Anything within a 1-2 hour drive of Charleston would be fine.

Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Celebration

Stonewall Jackson Resort near Weston would be a good choice. It is about an hour and a half but 4-lane til you exit for the lake.

There is a spa, hiking/biking trails, boat cruise (this used to come free with room rental but not sure now), geocaching, kayaking or canoe rental, golf...

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary Celebration

Stonewall would be great. A couple of other choices: Glade Springs Resort. (about one hour and 10 minutes from Charleston) Lots to do there, golfing, horseback riding, tennis, swim, There is a beautiful lake on the property, but not really anywhere to sit and enjoy it. Also...Pipestem St. Park. (hour and 45 minutes away) lovely park. Lodging, resturants, hiking, a lake and golfing there too. Or...if your budget allows, maybe the Greenbrier Resort. (two hours from Charleston) 4 Star hotel. Gorgeous!

3. Re: Anniversary Celebration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, October 22, 2014