We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 19, or the W.Va. turnpike?

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
218 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Route 19, or the W.Va. turnpike?

Hi All. Next month we'll be travelling from Wilmington N.C. to Erie,Pa. We've never made this trip so are unfamiliar with the roads. We thought to travel our first day to Charleston for an overnight stay, then rt 79 the next day to Erie. A shorter route would be to overnoght in Beckley, then take Rt. 19 to 79 to Erie. Rt 19 is about 60 miles shorter, but is this a "local" road with lots of traffic and traffic lights? Thanks in advance for any help.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route 19, or the W.Va. turnpike?

All of Rt 19 is 4-lane. For many miles, the speed limit will be 65 mph, and you'll basically be on an interstate. There are several towns along the way, though with much slower speed limits and plenty of stop lights. However, we make this trip quite often, and find that we really do save time by traveling Rt 19, rather than I-79/ I-77 through Charleston... despite the traffic lights in the small towns.

One word of caution... Summersville and Fayetteville are two of the towns you will pass through on Rt. 19. Great towns, but they take their speed limits very seriously. You'll have a few stretches where the speed drops down to 50 mph. Please drive the speed limit in those areas, and you'll have a great trip.

Charleston is a great city with plenty to do, but if you've never been through West Virginia before, I really would recommend taking Rt. 19. Seeing the New River Gorge Bridge is absolutely worth the trip. Do a google search for images of the bridge, and you'll see what I mean.

Enjoy your drive through our beautiful state.

Edited: 3:52 pm, August 04, 2011
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,025 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route 19, or the W.Va. turnpike?

Ditto on Rt. 19. You will be fine. And yes...the speed limit is 65!! (not 70..as it is NOT the Interstate!) Please obey the limit. of 65..and the areas in the towns of you will pass thru where the speed drops...with plenty of warning..to 50 or 55mph....(maybe even lower, not sure. ) Add Oak Hill to the above list of towns. Speed is 55 in the town limits.

Arnoldsburg
Level Contributor
75 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route 19, or the W.Va. turnpike?

Ditto again on Rt. 19. But I also advise on the speed limits. Go BELOW the posted speed limits in the towns mentioned. Not every speedometer is correct. And they don't take that into consideration. They use their radar. It is better to be safe and go below the speed limit than to get a ticket. As far as the New River Gorge. There is an overlook and a gift shop on the right just after you cross the bridge. It is well worth a few minute stop for pictures and just the view.

Edited: 5:29 pm, August 04, 2011
Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route 19, or the W.Va. turnpike?

We always use Rt. 19 when traveling in that direction, so I agree with everyone else. Do watch your speed though, they DO take speed limits seriously. The scenery is so much better. And take the time to go out to the New River Gorge Visitors' Center/overlook. A great place to stretch your legs with a pretty view and clean bathrooms to boot!! You can even take the steps down to look at the bridge from below if you're so inclined (We almost always do.)

Edited: 5:48 pm, August 04, 2011
Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
218 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route 19, or the W.Va. turnpike?

Thank you all for your quick responses...I knew I could count on my Trip Advisor "family"...we really don't leave home without it! We will most certainly stop at the New River George overlook. Again, we thank you all.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route 19, or the W.Va. turnpike?

7-7 1/2 hours Wilmington to Beckley. Leave early enough you could push on another 30-45 minutes to do your layover in Fayettville. Could get there early enough to really take your time at bridge overlook and not hurt your travel time. .

Number of local dining options. Two very popular spots would be Pies and Pints for pizza and Dirty Erinie's Rib Pit for ribs and and other meals. .

We were up there last week for ribs. Crossed bridge just before sundown at 8:00pm.. Bottom of gorge was full of fog with the top (rim) bright and clear. Great photo op and no camera.

Edited: 9:58 am, August 05, 2011
7. Re: Route 19, or the W.Va. turnpike?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 07, 2012