We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from South Carolina to Ontario CA on Christmas Week

Greenville, South...
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from South Carolina to Ontario CA on Christmas Week

My husband and I will be spending Christmas in Mississauga Ontario Canada. Google maps gave around 14+hrs total travel one way. We are coming from Greenville SC.

Requesting for inputs and opinions on the following:

1. Is it safe to drive given high possibility of snow storms especially near Buffalo?

2. Your suggested route?

3. What to prepare?

Thanks in advance.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from South Carolina to Ontario CA on Christmas Week

Google probably shows you going I-77 from Charlotte to Beckley, rt. 119 to I-79, then I-79 to Erie, Pa & I-90 on to Buffalo. I do know that I-77 all the way from Charlotte through Wv to Cleveland, Oh to I-90 is about the same distance and time and as WV roads go, probably a little less likely to encounter snowy roads since I-77 stays at a lower elevation than I-79. However, once you reach I-90, there would be more mileage to travel along Lake Erie so there might be more snow there. I can only comment on WV since I haven't traveled to Buffalo in the winter. Safe travel and have a Merry Christmas.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from South Carolina to Ontario CA on Christmas Week

I dont usually post in WV but have some experience with lake effect snow. Like many, could not figure out what was so special until I got caught in a storm that seemed to come out of nowhere and was extremely concentrated in area. Basically, keep the weather on, especially for the lake region forecasts as it can be bright sun and then blizzard. Be prepared to stop rather than push through. Have food in the car. use common sense. have snow or at least all weather tires on the car. If not familiar with snowy roads, wait until the plows apply salt.

With all of that you should have a safe trip.

ohio
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from South Carolina to Ontario CA on Christmas Week

Previous poster is absolutely correct. The snow sometimes just comes out of nowhere. We live in Cleveland and the Lake Erie snow machine can really get going not to mention the same is true for Lake Ontario. The lakes are not frozen over yet and that is what creates the bands of snow that get going across the water. Just yesterday in downtown Cleveland "out of nowhere" we got dumped with 10 inches just in a matter of about 5 hours!

So be careful especially on route 90 from Cleveland to Buffalo.

WV
Level Contributor
388 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from South Carolina to Ontario CA on Christmas Week

Given the recent weather, be prepared, and it should be a gorgeous ride! If you haven't been to Niagara Falls you should plan to stop, even briefly, on the Canadian side. They're fascinating in the winter and much less crowded!

Greenville, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from South Carolina to Ontario CA on Christmas Week

Appreciate all the replies. I-77 may have lower elevation than I-79 but that route means longer drive through I-90 as compared to I-79. I-90 would be our biggest challenge so I-79 route will be much better?

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from South Carolina to Ontario CA on Christmas Week

Hope you are keeping your radar up as a possible snowstorm will develop Christmas eve and day. Here's the accuweather link.

accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/43066/holid…

Read the northeast and Great Lakes info. Interestingly enough, it looks like the Lake Erie and Buffalo corridor may not be effected. Of course, it's weather....and who can REALLY predict what will happen. Please travel safely!

7. Re: Driving from South Carolina to Ontario CA on Christmas Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 19, 2011