We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outside Wedding near Charleston - Location Ideas???

Saint Albans, West...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Outside Wedding near Charleston - Location Ideas???

Looking for a place to have an outside wedding ceremony - really small and intimate - 20 people - not too far driving distance from Charleston. Elderly parents cannot travel far. Something with a country flair would be great - we are both horse lovers and would love to have a horse and buggy incorporated into it. Not alot of time to plan would like to have just a quick ceremony sometime late summer early fall - just about an hour long reception with cake and punch afterwards. This is the 3rd time for both of us after both of us losing our spouse to cancer. I looked at Benedict Haid Farm but would like some other options. Doesnt' have to be a fancy place just something for some nice pictures and a good memory. Any ideas????

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outside Wedding near Charleston - Location Ideas???

I was going to suggest Bennidict-Haid.

35-30 miles north of Charleston would be Ceder Lakes in Ripley.

Might take a drive out through Kanawha State Forest to see if there someplace out there that would work for pictures. Just a few minutes from downtown Charleston. Stables nearby so maybe horse and buggy could be arranged.

Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outside Wedding near Charleston - Location Ideas???

You might also check out Coonskin Park.

Ottumwa, IA
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outside Wedding near Charleston - Location Ideas???

I was just out there on vacation - don't know all the politics, but having it on the lawn @ the Univ of Charleston facing the river with the State Capitol on the other side of the river would be scenic. In addition, I never actually found it, but there is supposed to be a place called Sunrise that overlooks the city - but don't know if it's public or private land and whether parking would be a problem. Good luck with your wedding plans.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outside Wedding near Charleston - Location Ideas???

I don't think Sunrise is available any more. Used to have the Children's Museum, Art gallery and planetarium at Sunrise. Those are now at the Clay Center. BUT, if Sunrise is available, it would be beautiful: whycharlestonwv.com/headline/…

I love the Glen Ferris Inn at Kanawha Falls (near Gauley Bridge). I think it would be a beautiful place for a wedding: http://www.glenferrisinn.com/

Edited: 2:27 pm, June 21, 2010
5. Re: Outside Wedding near Charleston - Location Ideas???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 19, 2010
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question