We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV travel in mountains

Royal Oak, Mi
1 post
Save Topic
RV travel in mountains

We are planning an early fall trip through West Virginia, being from Michigan, we need some advice on which roads, heading towards Charleston, and Virginia Beach are best to navigate pulling a 25' travel trailor. Also we have had a little trouble finding camping restictions concerning pets in state parks. We were hoping to go out west eventually under the same circumstances but would like to make our first attempt with mountains, a little closer to home. We've heard some of the roads in WV are treacherous-please advise. thanks-B. Michigan

Charleston, WV
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: RV travel in mountains

You may be receiving this message too late for your fall travels, but I hope this info helps. You might want to try Kanawha State Forest (9,000 acres), I live at the Charleston city limits and the forest in just 4 miles from there and lots of people take their RV's to this campground which I'm almost certain would accomodate yours. For complete info you can call 1-800-CALL-WVA. Posted directions are Oakwood Road exit on I-64 west, through South Hills and Loundendale (this is a longer route). Consider taking 35t Street exit off I-64 south to Kanawha City (east Charleston), then South Park Road to Loudendale (much easier).HAPPY TRAVELING, Tim Miller