We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking New River Gorge trails this weekend

NC
Level Contributor
607 posts
41 reviews
Hiking New River Gorge trails this weekend

We are driving up tomorrow evening for a rafting trip Sat and had hoped to hike the Endless Wall trail and the Kaymoor Miner's trail Sun before going home. The forecast is calling for thunderstorms and 1- 1.5 inches of rain Fri and Sat and partial clouds Sun. The rafting trip goes on regardless of rain but am I right in thinking those trails will be a mess, if not outright dangerous, on Sun if they do get that rain?

I was considering spending Sat night in Mt. Airy and hiking in Hanging Rock on Sun. They are getting rain too but it's supposed to be clear and sunny Sun and the rain will help the waterfalls.

6 replies to this topic
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,546 posts
153 reviews
1. Re: Hiking New River Gorge trails this weekend

Yes, Friday and especially Saturday does not look very good for hiking. Would be pretty messy and wet, plus there is a chance of thunderstorms (lightning) so that would be dangerous. Sorry!!

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
284 reviews
2. Re: Hiking New River Gorge trails this weekend

I hiked at Hanging Rock State Park, NC in on and off rain. It was not a lot, but did make the trails wet.

If you have good hiking boots, you should be fine... Just use your brain and eyes when hiking... If it looks slippery, it probably is...lol

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
284 reviews
3. Re: Hiking New River Gorge trails this weekend

I forgot... I also hiked at Pipestem Resort State Park in WV in the rain. It too is no problem hiking as long as proper footwear is worn. The downside at Pipestem... The trails are not well maintained, so our pants got wet from the weeds. (Above the knees.)

NC
Level Contributor
607 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Hiking New River Gorge trails this weekend

Thanks! I replied earlier but it apparently didn't go through. I hate weather forecasters! I checked at 6 am and it was even worse today for today, now they don't even list thunderstorms today. We cancelled our Sat reservations and we'll just go with the flow tomorrow.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,546 posts
153 reviews
5. Re: Hiking New River Gorge trails this weekend

This morning we had heavy rain, then sprinkles....now the sun is out and it is gorgeous! Just never know!

NC
Level Contributor
607 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Hiking New River Gorge trails this weekend

Yes, the weather ended up being almost perfect. There was a bad thunderstorm in the early morning but we only had a little bit of drizzle right at the beginning and end of the rafting trip and the water level was up from several days of rain so the rapids were good. I thought we would be really cold because the temp was only 70 degrees but the water was surprisingly warm. We went in for swims 3 times along the way and it was great.

It cleared a little after we got done rafting so we went on a 2 hr hike on the Endless Wall trail starting from the Lansing -Edmond Rd trailhead and then went to the lookout at the Canyon Rim Visitor Center before driving back home.

I didn't realize that Diamond Point was the target of the trail and I read about ladders going down to lower sections that had caves and stuff so we kept walking past Diamond Point looking for those. I finally asked someone coming from the other direction and they said there was nothing but a parking lot that way so we turned around. We decided to go down the "Climber Access" spur trail but we didn't see any ladders there. Then we took another one right after Diamond Point and found a long series of ladders down the cliff side.

By then it was 5 so we didn't have a lot of time to explore so we split up to see if we could find any caves close. We walked a little way toward the trailhead and saw some ledges covered in spider webs so we didn't explore them at all. Going the other way there were some small chambers, also covered in spiderwebs. We had seen a marker near the beginning of the trail that had a right arrow for Endless Wall Trail and left arrow for Climbers Access. We wanted to continue on that lower level to look for the caves I read about but we didn't know if the trail connected to that Climber Access Point or if there were ladders to get back up there. We had a 4+ hr drive home and didn't have time to backtrack so we went back up the ladders we came down. Does anyone have any idea if they do connect?

Reply to: Hiking New River Gorge trails this weekend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Beckley
Recent Conversations