We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winterplace or Sugar Mountain for Christmas?

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Winterplace or Sugar Mountain for Christmas?

We are planning a "learn to ski/snowboard" trip for the week after Christmas. Which place, typically, has the better snow conditions or experiences for kids this time of year? Several have recommended Snowshoe but we are driving from Nashville and that seems a bit too far. Thanks!

Tamarack
Art Galleries, Flea & Street Markets, Gift & Specialty Shops, Specialty Museums
Grandview State Park
State Parks, Hiking Trails
charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winterplace or Sugar Mountain for Christmas?

I don't ski but have always heard Winterplace is the better of the two for beginners. Smaller complex. Shorter trails. Tubing park available if you don't get the hang of standing on boards.

But........

Snowshoe is a bit higher in the mountains and might have better snow/conditions that time of year.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,875 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winterplace or Sugar Mountain for Christmas?

Yes, I agree with pop.

Winter Place is very easy to get to (just off I-77) Smaller, great for beginners. They do make snow there in case the real snow doesn't cooporate. They have a few lodging places there on site, but most people stay in Beckley (15 miles) or Princeton (20 miles)

both towns have lots of hotels, shopping, resturants.

Snowshoe is about 3 hours from Beckley. Very curvy road, but lots more skiing options. And lots of lodging options on the mountain.

(and possible better skiing conditions as its much higher up)

For "first-timers".....I would pick Winter Place.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Winterplace or Sugar Mountain for Christmas?

Thanks so much. We really appreciate your assistance. WV, here we come....:)

4. Re: Winterplace or Sugar Mountain for Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Beckley