We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about our one night on Whidbey Island

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
413 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about our one night on Whidbey Island

We're spending one night on Whidbey Island (Blue Goose Inn, Coupeville) during our travels through Washington.

The night before we're staying at Lake Crescent Lodge and will visit Hurricane Ridge (by 10am), hike Hurricane Hill and visit Port Townsend before hopping on the ferry. What time should I make for the ferry reservation? This will be a Sunday in August. I was thinking either the 4:15 or 5:15 will work.

We'll then check into the Blue Goose and have dinner in Coupeville and walk around town. Will stores be open on a Sunday evening?

Is it worth going to Langley for a visit in the morning? I realize we would have to backtrack leaving Langley when heading toward Bellingham. We plan on stopping at Deception Pass and spend some time there. Our destination is near Maple Falls. We were looking to have a late lunch at the Oyster Bar on the Chuckanut Dr. Sound doable?

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,564 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about our one night on Whidbey Island

Those PT ferry times seem good. Do be sure to make reservations. Late afternoon, Sunday, August is THE busiest time for any eastbound ferry.

Langley is nice, but I would just head north. You might have time to run down to Langley on Sunday evening. It will be light pretty late.

Enjoy,

chuck

Edited: 1:26 pm, May 25, 2013
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about our one night on Whidbey Island

I'd see Langley as well. And since the Coupeville ferry terminal is adjacent, drive into Fort Casey State Park. Parade grounds, gun emplacements, lighthouse, etc. Very scenic.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about our one night on Whidbey Island

Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably make the ferry reservation for 5:15. I'd rather have a little extra time and not rush.

We'll check out Fort Casey, either upon arrival or the next morning. Langley might be a last minute decision.

How much time does Deception Pass require? We're always up for a little walking/hiking.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about our one night on Whidbey Island

"How much time does Deception Pass require? We're always up for a little walking/hiking."

It's a large park, so I've posted a website here and below re: some trails (they are all pretty short). http://goo.gl/maps/gYcPW

You'll enjoy walking the DP bridge!

See also, as time permits, the bays and coves, the NW part of the park. Very scenic, and the trails lead to headlands for great views.

wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2…

Go to Google Earth, see the trails at Sharpe Cove headland.

Edited: 3:03 pm, May 26, 2013
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about our one night on Whidbey Island

BTW, tide pools on the north side of that headland.

Level Contributor
36,165 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about our one night on Whidbey Island

Try to see Langley, it's a very scenic town. :)

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about our one night on Whidbey Island

Good stuff Voyaging, thanks. Those videos were helpful. Deception Pass looks a little like Acadia NP in Maine. We'll be there on a Monday so maybe the crowds won't be too bad.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
865 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about our one night on Whidbey Island

We visited both Coupeville and Langley last month. Langley was a charming little town with a few shops and a good restaurant, Prima Bistro. Tiny Coupeville was interesting in a "preserved in amber" sort of way, but very quiet. If you want to shop, there are many stores in Port Townsend, not so many in the two little Whidbey Island villages. If you have a little extra time, you might enjoy a short detour into Anacortes - it has an old fashioned downtown with shops and a good deli.

Edited: 3:15 pm, May 27, 2013
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about our one night on Whidbey Island

Hi again, Relayer; I'm not sure you'll find much comparison "on the ground" between Acadia and Deception Pass, or my memory is failing, but both beautiful in their own way.

Monday will be a bit better, the natives will be back at work leaving it to the tourists. As you drive north on WI, and see the signs for DP SP, watch for the parking area, left side, immediately before the bridge. Otherwise, more limited parking is available on the other end(s). Ends? The bridge is in two parts.

Langley is my first choice, give yourselves at least an hour to walk the main and parallel streets, dine, galleries, etc.

Edited: 4:14 pm, May 27, 2013
Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about our one night on Whidbey Island

I made reservations for the 5:15 ferry. I figure if they want us there at least 30 minutes before, I don't want to rush. I'm thinking we might grab a late lunch in Port Townsend and walk the town before heading to the ferry. Can someone recommend a nice spot to grab a sandwich and a beer?

We will wait until arriving on WI to make a decision on visiting Langley and/or Anacortes, probably one of those go with the flow type decisions.