We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with last minute getaway

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
165 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Help with last minute getaway

My dad is in town and Seattle weather is...let's just say it's not cooperating. I looked online and Wenatchee looks like a place with some sun and summer temps.

I've been reading lodging reviews, and it doesn't look very promising. Should I look for lodging in a different town, between Seattle and Wenatchee? Or just bite the bullet and stay at the Red Lion? Ideally, I'd like a room which is reasonably quiet, clean, comfortable, and with 2 beds. It doesn't have to be fancy or high-end.

Thanks!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with last minute getaway

The weather outlook is not that bad. Should the question be, what do you and your dad want to do other than escape the clouds? Has he been here before? Have you taken him out of the city for the many fabulous sights?

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with last minute getaway

Curious, I reviewed your other post; you had a great one listing things to do in the immediate Seattle area, more or less. If he has been here before, I assume he has seen some of these places. As you know, there are so many more...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with last minute getaway

He's visited Seattle many times, so we want to go on a weekend getaway. I thought about the north cascades, but the weather there is expected to be rainy/cool.

Any advice on a trip which heads towards Wenatchee?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with last minute getaway

What do you like to do with your dad? I always like a getaway to Eastern Washington for the sun and more.

Are you looking for active or restful? Hiking, Boating, Golf, Fishing, wine?

How about Sun Mountain Lodge in the Methow Valley? They have been advertising quite a bit lately.

How about the Chelan or Leavenworth areas. Slightly more scenic than Wenatchee.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with last minute getaway

We usually like a combo of exploring little towns (historical/shopping) and outdoorsy (easy-moderate hiking).

I just realized that we're headed near the Gorge.

Wonder if there are any big concerts this weekend (crowds). I better check...

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with last minute getaway

Steve Miller is there on Sat.

Check out the Cave B Inn/Winery. Have lunch on their patio (views!!!). Easy hike down from the property to the river.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with last minute getaway

They're booked up on Sat. night (probably the concert) and very expensive! Does look beautiful though.

A friend just recommended the Crescent Bar Condos.

I don't know if condos can be arranged last minute (not like a hotel which has staff onsite). I left a voice mail with selectrentals.com which seems to handle some of the condos.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with last minute getaway

Just did a bunch of checking. Everything's booked up on Sat. night -- at least the recommended places. I booked a cabin for Friday night (Bindlestiff's Riverside Cabins in Leavenworth) and will figure out Saturday night later...

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with last minute getaway

There's a terrific garden in Wenatchee:

http://www.ohmegardens.com

The Ohme family couldn't get a loan to build a house during the Great Depression, so they started on the yard. This became a 10 acre garden. The house was never built. It's now a city park.

It's more a manicured landscape than a flower garden. Rock paths, benches, and walls are built in all over the place. Trees, lawns, and pools occupy most of the space. It's set on a hilltop overlooking the Columbia. The contrast of this green hilltop versus the utter brown and desolate hills up and down the Columbia is striking.

Beyond that, you might visit the Rocky Reach Dam:(huge indoor space, electricity museum)

chelanpud.org/rocky-reach-hydro-project.html

...and then venture on up to Lake Chelan for the view or to rent a canoe.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with last minute getaway

What's a more scenic (with good stops for day hikes) drive? 405N to 522 to US-2; or I-90 to WA-970 to US-97 to US-2? I had planned on I-90, but just saw that it's twice as long.

Get answers to your questions about Wenatchee