We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route

Which Sunnyside hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
92 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Best route

Hi, We are driving from Portland, OR to Sunnyside, WA on Jan 14th, mapquest is showing to take Hwy 97 from 84, it looks like it would be better to take Hwy 241 any suggestions? Thanks, Linda

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route

Why 241? It's rather roundabout. Google and Mapquest say essentially the same thing.

I assume you mean Sunnyside near Toppenish, there are two other Sunnysides in WA.

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
92 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route

I was just thinking it would be better to stay on the interstate as long a possible, we don't know how the winter weather is there. Sometimes mapquest will bring you in on state roads when there are easier and shorter routes by staying on interstate. That is the reason for my question. Thanks, Linda

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route

Linda, I agree about the winter weather, it can be quite cold, sometimes windy in the Columbia River Gorge. But not usually much snow. I'd stay on the major roads/interstate hwys. as Mapquest suggests, and not use other roads. The major roads, with more traffic, will be safer. Early morning ice could be a problem, but the major road traffic and hwy. dept. efforts should reduce the risks.

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
92 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route

Thanks for the information!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route

I am having a hard time even finding 241 on my maps, Most maps show it north of Sunnyside, but not clear on several maps i have how it goes from I-84 towards Sunnyside.

There are some routes across that way and I think truckers use them to avoid pull over Satus Pass 0n 97, and to stay on Wash side of river.

From Indiana I think i would stick to I-84 and US-97 then I-82. certainly will be better marked for newcomer to NW.

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
92 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route

We are flying into Portland, it looks like 241 runs from Alderdale into Sunnyside, we will take your advice and take 97 off 84. Thanks

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,919 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route

Double check that the bridge at Biggs (where you cross from 84 over to WA) will be open. I know they have been working on it and it has been closed (except during the summer). The detour is about 50 miles, so double check that before you go.

The Satus Pass is usually kept pretty clear. I have driven it many times, even in the winter, and it isn't bad.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,919 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route

I just checked tripcheck and it said the bridge will be closed until early 2009. The easiest detour would be to cross at the Dalles instead and then take 14 over to catch up with 97.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route

Good point mtngrl. WSDOT site says bridge is closed.

you need to cross at The Dalles and drive along north side of river on SR 14. then is is not much further. It is a lot further if you find out when you get to the 97 bridge at Biggs.

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
92 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best route

Thank you so much for that information I will check on the bridge closer to our trip, we are visiting family and it is a short trip so we do not want to waste time backtracking. Thanks again, Linda

Get answers to your questions about Sunnyside
Recent Conversations