We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House hunting in Spokane

Oceanside, Ca.
2 posts
Save Topic
House hunting in Spokane

Hello all,

I am going to be moving to the Spokane area soon and I really want to buy a house there. I am in the Marines and going to be staioned there at least 3 years. I have found quite a few homes in my price range but I was wondering what the neighborhoods are like? I have also been told to stay away from certain areas due to crime etc.

So my questions are:

1. Are there certain areas in town to stay away from when buying a home?

2. Which areas offer affordable homes for first time buyers in good neighborhoods?

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
592 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: House hunting in Spokane

Hi eagle0848,

There are some areas near downtown where you can buy a home for REALLY cheap, but some of those areas aren't as safe as others.

The South Hill is nice -- gets a little pricey in areas, but lower south Hill can be affordable.

The Spokane Valley area is pretty hot right now and prices are on the rise, but still affordable (compared to Coeur d'Alene which is next door). Liberty Lake is probably the most expensive area in the Valley, but Greenacres, Veradale and Otis Orchards are much less expensive and have some nice areas. The difference between these areas and Spokane are mainly lot size and the age of the homes. Downtown has usuall smaller lots, older homes and some "iffy" neighborhoods (near the actual downtown area).

North Spokane, down by the northtown Mall, has some nice areas as well as some areas in West Spokane.

You can buy a home in downtown for $90,000, but you're going to have some pretty beat up homes in the area around you and you may not feel as comfortable as far as safety is concerned.

Not sure what you'd consider "affordable", but if you can get into the low $100,000's (talk to a lender to pre-qualify) there are some nice homes slightly away from the downtown area, but close to Spokane if you need to commute, mostly in the Spokane Valley.

I'd suggest you talk to a lender and a Realtor and they can point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: House hunting in Spokane

Eagle0848,

I live on the South hill. Not that far up, in the older part but not concidered the lower-south hill. I live in a great neighborhood called the 'perry district'.

Are you looking for an older home or a new sub-division? I've been in Spokane since 1991. I don't know much about the Valley, except it's growing fast as spokane is in every direction. What you need is a good realtor. Let me know if I can point you to one.

Areas that I would stay away from:

Hillyard (ne spokane) N central aka felony flats. I just prefer the south hill. Have lived on both sides and people are just nice <grin> If you are going to be on base (fairchild) Airway heights is there, but there's no tree there and I just don't care for it. I hear that cheaney and Medical lake are newer, but again no knowledge of those. Let me know if I can help more.

familyoutdoors

Get answers to your questions about Spokane