We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Displaced Military looking for new home

Rapid City
1 post
Save Topic
Displaced Military looking for new home

Great posts...it is the most info I have found about Spokane on the net!!! We have been at Ellsworth AFB Rapid City SD for 16 years when they anounced they are closing it! We are considering Fairchild as our next home...May I ask a few questions of you kind people.

1. I have found on city-data.com and msn that there is 173 days of sunshine in spokane, but the spokane tourist site says 263 days...which is it?

2. Just read headlines "Spokane crime rates are soaring.." in tribune...what kind of crime?

3.Is there anywhere for a data entry clerk and a customer service rep to work near Medical lake? Or is all the jobs in Spokane proper?

4.How are the driving conditions in the winter...I've also read Spokane has 110 days a year of fog...is that correct?

5. Is the community happy to have the base in the area... Rapid City is fairly unfriendly to the military. Dont really notice all we do in our volenteering, community service etc...I think they will notice when we are gone.

6.What do grade school teachers starting wage...

Thank you in advance for your help...I truly appreciate it.

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Displaced Military looking for new home

Hello. I will be most happy to help you out with your questions. The first thing I want to say is that Spokane is very welcoming to the new military personel coming Fairchild. We thank you all for all you do for us everyday. Spokane gets a lot of sunshine, however even when the sun is shining it can be cold. Today it is going to be 86 degrees. The summers can get very warm usually high eighties to high nineties. The winter can be could sometimes gets into the teens. The past several years we have not had very much snow, which I have liked, but unfortunately not good for the ski resorts which were only open for about 1 month this winter. The driving is very easy regardless of the weather. There is not very much traffic, and in the winter they keep the streets plowed very well.

As far as crime soaring, yes that is true, but the crime is drugs and theft. We do not have a lot of serious crime like big cities. Our problem currently is that there is a lot of meth use so people steal things to pay for their drugs.

Starting teaching salaries are roughly $25,000.00. There are some very good school districts here in Spokane. Teaching positions open up quite often, and we are getting ready to build a few new elementary and junior schools with in the next two to three years.

As far as jobs like Customer Service your best bet will be directly in Spokane. Keep in mind to drive from Medical Lake to Spokane takes approx 15 minutes, however there is a very large company in Airway Heights called Dakota Direct which is a telemarketing firm, but they pay very well from what I have heard.

I hope this information helps. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,081 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Displaced Military looking for new home

Great info from Marni! Just wanted to add that Spokane is my favorite "inland" city anyplace. It is beautiful, friendly, convenient, and as mentioned-having Fairchild there has always made the city very military friendly! Being an x-military wife, I visited the area frequently because of military friends there, and fell in love with the entire area! Great shopping also ;-) (sorry to hear RAP is not treating it's military very well!)

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Displaced Military looking for new home

Hello Celestino!! When will you be moving here? If you like the outdoors (like me) there are sooooo many things to do. We have ALOT of lakes close by, theres lots of biking trails, camping, fishing, hiking you name it. It is really pretty here. You are only half hour to Idaho (one of my favorites!) Great camping & lakes over there, and snowmobiling. You are only about 1.5 hours away from Canada, about an hour to Montana. I'm sure you will like it here. If you have any questions let us know!!