We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spokane to Post Falls and/or Coeur d'Alene

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Spokane to Post Falls and/or Coeur d'Alene

Driving from Seattle to Spokane and Coeur d'Alene, mid-Sept. weekend. We only plan to stay two nights, sightseeing in the area.

Would a Post Falls hotel be better than one night in Spokane and one night in Coeur d'Alene? Hotel recommendations?

Thanks for any info.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spokane to Post Falls and/or Coeur d'Alene

Depends what you want to see, really. I'd prefer Coeur d'Alene just to have the lake and scenery nearby.

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spokane to Post Falls and/or Coeur d'Alene

Thanks, voyaging, for your response. We're open to any sightseeing suggestions. We'll be driving through WA & OR & ID for a couple of weeks and our Itin. is flexible, although I have tentatively booked two-night stays at hotels along the way.

Trip route after Spokane/Coeur d'Alene is driving to Hells Canyon/Lewiston, The Dalles, Portland, Astoria, coastal OR, Port Angeles - seeing the national parks and historic areas, etc. Then staying in Kent overnight before flying out of SEA.

Post Falls had seemed like a good midway point, for two nights, rather than one night in each Spokane & Couer d'Alene. Sounds like you'd recommend both nights in the latter instead?

Thanks again.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spokane to Post Falls and/or Coeur d'Alene

I scanned your other posts so have questions, answers to which will help the planning. I was surprised that you are talking about a longer trip than the weekend alluded to. So...

Do you have a route already planned? Pt. Angeles is a long way from parts of the OR coast and Idaho. It'd help to see your proposed route.

Is Eastern WA important to you? While I find it interesting, you will find much more variety in Western WA and OR, such that you might find yourselves driving more than you like. Also, you will find mountains and ocean here, the former somewhat reflecting E. WA and Idaho.

If you have not been here before, and are from FL, you will be amazed by the diverse geography (and beauty) of this place.

So, consider including, as time permits, Pt. Angeles and Hurricane Ridge (Olympic National Park), perhaps a ferry from there to Victoria, BC (on Vancouver Island). The San Juan Islands... the... You get the picture :)

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spokane to Post Falls and/or Coeur d'Alene

I don't know what you want to see in Spokane. I'd spend the time in Idaho. The two fun things we like to do in the area (with kids) is the Silverwood amusement and water park. That's a half hour north of Coeur D'Alene. To the east at Kellog is a three mile long tram ride that takes you from the freeway up into the mountains. A further two ski lift rides take you to a lookout station where you can see mountaintops in three states. On the way to Kellog is an old Jesuit mission, Cataldo, which is worth a stop. The church there is the oldest building in Idaho.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spokane to Post Falls and/or Coeur d'Alene

We saw the Cataldo... interesting and very SW, here in the NW.

Re: Hell's Canyon - I've been twice, once from the east down steep roads and found it interesting, and once from the west, we found it, frankly, not very exciting.

I'd certainly include the Columbia River Gorge. You can drive the scenic highway on the OR side, cross to WA and drive the road along the river - both roads very different, very scenic. (Or, reverse this route; depends where you are coming from.)

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spokane to Post Falls and/or Coeur d'Alene

Another thing that may be a small factor...sales and lodging taxes are are bit lower in Post Falls versus Spokane. Spokane is something like 10.6% combined sales/lodging tax+ $1.50 tourism fee versus 8% combined in Post Falls. Post Falls is an easy drive back to Spokane to look around there. Mt. Spokane may be pretty at that time of year. Gas prices run about 10 cents less in Post Falls too. Going back and forth between Seattle and Minnesota a lot we always fill up in Post Falls going west or get there on fumes going east.

Coeur d Alene, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Coeur d'Alene
Level Contributor
394 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spokane to Post Falls and/or Coeur d'Alene

The distance between Post Falls and Coeur d' Alene is rather short so not sure there is an advantage to Post Falls over Coeur d' Alene. The variety of lodging to chose from and things to do is greater in Coeur d' Alene than Post Falls. Driving to Coeur d' Alene rather than Post Falls from Spokane only adds about 5 to 10 minutes to the drive. Depending on your pricing, the Holiday Inn Express in Coeur d' Alene on Seltice Blvd seems to become a very popular choice and well rated on this sites hotel reviews. Gasoline is cheaper in Coeur d' Alene as compared to Spokane (higher gas taxes in Washington).

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spokane to Post Falls and/or Coeur d'Alene

To everyone who responded, thank you so much. As a newbie on this forum, I certainly appreciate the good info and tips you've provided. Your enthusiasm is contagious, now we're really psyched about the trip. Thanks again.

9. Re: Spokane to Post Falls and/or Coeur d'Alene

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Spokane