We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early should I arrive for my SEATAC to Dublin flight

Which SeaTac hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Whidbey Is, WA, USA
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How early should I arrive for my SEATAC to Dublin flight

I will be flying from Seatac to Dublin, Ireland in September, with a layover in Chicago on the way (and also on return). I understand I should try to arrive at least 3 hours before international flights, but if we're stopping in Chicago (before leaving the USA) is it considered a domestic flight and can I arrive a bit before, say two hours ahead?

Also, on my return do I go through customs in the first city I land in, or is it at SEATAC.

Thanks, David.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How early should I arrive for my SEATAC to Dublin flight

Since your first flight is domestic, you only need to be there about 2 hours before hand. The 3 hour rule is for flights where that first leg is international.

Whidbey Is, WA, USA
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How early should I arrive for my SEATAC to Dublin flight

Thanks, that makes a difference, since i'm coming down from Whidbey and shuttle only goes every 2 hours.

Best, David.

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
154 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How early should I arrive for my SEATAC to Dublin flight

Make sure you get your passport verified by a ticket agent before boarding the plane in SEA or you could be delayed at the gate. Speaking from experience here. Have a great trip!!

Whidbey Is, WA, USA
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How early should I arrive for my SEATAC to Dublin flight

I forgot to ask, if what you say is true, how do I deal with a trip from Seatac to Chicago which only has an 1.5 hour layover in Chicago before I have to catch another flight to Dublin? Doesn't sound like they are leaving me much time to go through Customs in Chicago, if that's what is required?

David.

Whidbey Is, WA, USA
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How early should I arrive for my SEATAC to Dublin flight

Passport, I need a passport? Thanks for the tip.

Whidbey Is, WA, USA
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How early should I arrive for my SEATAC to Dublin flight

Seattle Flyer Guy, I just got different information. My friend says you go through Customs here, since you still have your bags with you. Once you're in Chicago, that don't re-hook you up with your luggage, so you just stay in the terminal and you're good to go.

Best, David.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
538 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How early should I arrive for my SEATAC to Dublin flight

If you are flying on a single ticket with layovers/connections in Chicago, consider your Seattle departure as "international" - they will check your passport here and be tagging your bags for Dublin. (And you don't go thru Customs on your outbound flight.) But I think you are OK if you arrive at a minimum 2 hrs before your departure, unless it is during a very busy time (e.g. on a holiday when the airport is jammed, 3 hrs may be better.)

On your return, you will clear US Customs at the first place you land, so you'll need to have enough time on the ground in Chicago to collect your bags, clear Customs, and recheck them for your connecting flight. Normally this will all be handled within the secure international arrivals area, you don't have to go back out to the front of the airport to recheck your bags.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,261 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How early should I arrive for my SEATAC to Dublin flight

On your return flight you will actually clear US Customs & Immigration (pre-clearance) in the Dublin airport.

cbp.gov/xp/…Ireland

dublinairport.com/gns/…US-Preclearance.aspx

Your return flight to Chicago will be considered a 'domestic arrival.' I would also verify with the airline that your luggage is checked through to Seattle on your return flight.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
892 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How early should I arrive for my SEATAC to Dublin flight

Just to clarify a few points:

* Strictly speaking, you should check-in three hours before your first flight on an international itinerary, however in practice 2 hours should be fine

* The best place to show your passport is at the gate, no need to queue at the ticketing/check-in desks (just drop your bags at the bag drop, assuming you've already checked-in online)

* 1.5hrs in Chicago is fine since there are no formalities to do their, unless of course your inbound flight is late

* You'll go through Irish customs and immigration when you arrive in Dublin

Contrary to the above advice, on the return, you'll go through US customs and immigration in Dublin. Bags will be checked through to Seattle and you won't see them in Chicago.

-Moose

Whidbey Is, WA, USA
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How early should I arrive for my SEATAC to Dublin flight

Sodomojo and Moose: I assume that I can only clear US Customs in Dublin if I'm flying from Dublin to a US destination, not if my layover is in another European country, correct? So, how would it work if I was flying from Dublin to Amsterdam, and then to Seattle? Would I clear Customs when I get back to Seatac?

Best, David

Edited: 12:53 am, April 09, 2013