We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel up to 20 miles from airport

Which SeaTac hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
hotel up to 20 miles from airport

will be landing in seatac in august after 12 hour flight from uk, we are the making our way through oregon and idaho to yellowstone. i will be picking up a car at the airport, but want to get a hotel up to 20 or 30 miles away which will be on route as i dont want to stay at an airport hotel, but dont want to travel far after a long flight. like the hotel to be in an interesting area. also may not want to take the 1-90 route as i have travelled it before, and thought about the road that goes to lewiston as time is not of the essence, just want to see new thing, any ideas appriciated

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
154 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel up to 20 miles from airport

You have many many hotels options here. It would help to know a bit about your planned route. It sounds like you want to head east towards Idaho first?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel up to 20 miles from airport

Have you been to Mt. Rainier National Park? If you have time, that would be a great introduction to this trip.

Lodging after arrival depends on your route, of course, and we tend to pick ours "on the fly" so I cannot offer help except to say there are tons of lodging facilities on the following route.

I'd go I-90 to I-84 to I-82 through NE OR, to I-86 to I-86 to SR 20 to West Yellowstone. This is a varied scenic, route, pastoral, farmland, rolling hills, Columbia R., moderately high mountains, an easy drive.

But, it's long compared to I-90. But, as you say, time is not of the essence.

Given your comments, consider seeing Palouse Falls (don't know about their volume in August) and continue on 12 over Lolo Pass until it rejoins I-90.

How many days are you allocating for your time in Yellowstone and, I expect, Grand Teton National Parks?

If you have not been there before, you might wish to post on the WY forum.

In any event, lodging can be a challenge, so this article should help. My bias is to lodge inside the park for several reasons.

LODGING FOR YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK This article tells what you need to know about lodging locations inside and outside the park, how to get lodging, and how to choose from among the various locations.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c189012/Wyomin… html

Edited: 10:02 am, March 07, 2013
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel up to 20 miles from airport

thanks for replies so far, i have organised lodging over yellowstone way as i have been a couple of times before. so really just looking for a small town lodging somewhere on route not far from airport, ideally not on the i-90 as i have done that route before

regards

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel up to 20 miles from airport

Aside from earlier route suggestions, you could simply drive south on I-5 and pick up standard lodging in, for example, Olympia, the WA state capital (lovely capital grounds, BTW). I have stayed at the Best Western, Tumwater, just south of Olympia, but that was in another lifetime; it's convenient to the freeway. Or further south to Centralia. Perhaps others have specific recommendations.

You then could drive to, and visit, the Columbia R. Gorge and head east on I-84, picking up the route suggested in my earlier post.

Columbia River Gorge

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/ Here is a useful map contained in this website:

columbiariverhighway.com/historic_columbia_r…

Edited: 11:03 am, March 07, 2013
5. Re: hotel up to 20 miles from airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 pm, April 10, 2013
Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
154 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel up to 20 miles from airport

Voyaging has a good suggestion about going east on I-84 in Oregon. That would be an easier drive if there is still snow in the mountains (you don't say when your trip is planned).

McMenamins has an interesting historic hotel in Centralia called the Olympic Club Hotel. I have never stayed there but the restaurant and bar areas are fun. It would be about a 1.5-2 hour drive south on I-5 (a bit farther than the 20 miles you are looking for). It is right in the downtown area. The TA reviews are pretty good.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,659 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel up to 20 miles from airport

if you look at

hotelcoupons.com

you can find hotels based on the hwy your on. It works great when your flexible about where to stay.

8. Re: hotel up to 20 miles from airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 10, 2014