We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

feedback re: southwest

Richmond, Canada
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
feedback re: southwest

we always take alaska air from Bellingham, but will be coming to sea-tac for first time next summer.So that been said we have some options which looks like southwest.Is it a good airline?I looked them up and am a bit confused about their bording process,maybe someone can explain.Anyhow could I just gwet some all around pros and cons? Please and thankyou

6 replies to this topic
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
326 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: feedback re: southwest

We flew SW last year to SeaTac from Chicago. We took SW because it was a non stop. The nice thing is you get 2 bags free, which is nice at 20.00US, and up depending on airline. The seating priority you asked about, mainly has to do with how fast you board. It goes to the "early board" seating. As usual first is handicapped or assisted, then family with small children, then "early bird". They have a system consist of a series of numbers 1 thru as much as 30, in 10 increments each. 1 thru 10 boards first and so on.

There a number of people who use "early bird(which cost 15.00US each way) and we have used it a number of times, because the wife prefers sitting on the wing.

In the end it just depends how fast you what to pick your seat, since they DO NOT ASSIGN SEATS.

In the airport at SeaTac, the SW gates are a hike to the light rail or car rentals, which is basically at the other end of the gates. Would we use early bird again ........yes and we are going to the balloon fiesta next week.

Hope this answers your question.........HAPPY TRAILS :)

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: feedback re: southwest

You can ask about specific airlines on the TA Air Travel forum. : )

~ Colleen

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: feedback re: southwest

I wish Southwest flew into Eugene. It's often worth it for us to drive up to Portland to get SW on flights back east.

I remember when SW was PSA (we used to call it "poor students airline" because so many California college kids flew back and forth from L.A. and San Francisco. In those days that one way fare was $10, $6 on the red eye. Prices have gone up considerably, but SW is still the best deal if you check rates frequently and book early. They offer a variety of rate categories that can fill and change. There's no checked baggage fee for your first two, no fee for reservation/itinerary changes and the crews are known for their friendliness and senses of humor.

Boarding is a bit of a hassle, but not a major issue most of the time.

Richmond, Canada
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: feedback re: southwest

thanks for responses and I will check the other forum also

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,571 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: feedback re: southwest

>> I remember when SW was PSA (we used to call it "poor students airline" because so many California college kids flew back and forth from L.A. and San Francisco. In those days that one way fare was $10, $6 on the red eye. <<

PSA was bought out by US Airways, who also merged with America West Airlines, prior to merging with American Airlines a few years ago. There's no connection between Southwest and PSA. If you're old enough you might be thinking of West Coast Airlines, which served various routes from San Francisco to Seattle (including Eugene.) West Coast got bought out by Air West, later Hughes Airwest. Airwest also bought out two California-based airlines, Bonanza and Pacific Airways. (Pacific had actually originally owned the "Southwest" name in the 1940s but the trademark had expired before the current Southwest came into being.) Airwest was ultimately bought by Republic Airlines, who where themselves bought by Northwest Airlines, who were ultimately bought by Delta.

Regarding Southwest v. Alaska Airlines for SEA-LAS, I would look carefully at the prices including Alaska's bag fees. Southwest's marketing (which is very effective) has convinced many people that they're the cheapest choice for many routes, when the reality is quite the opposite. Their prices are competitive, often higher, than other airlines', even taking bag fees into account.

Southwest also benefits from not being partners or having interline baggage agreements with any other airlines, so you can't do side-by-side comparisons of total costs using Expedia or other online travel agents, since Southwest doesn't list their fares in the same systems that other airlines do.

When is your trip?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: feedback re: southwest

I stand corrected even if I like my alternate facts memories better. Now, you'll tell me my memories of PSA stewardess (that's what we called them back then) wearing hot pants are erroneous also.

Seriously, regarding Southwest fares, that's why I said to check often because they have multiple categories and constant fare changes. One flight a day to your destination might be a bargain, while other flights same day, same destination, but different departure times, could be much higher.

Same goes for car rentals. I'm in California right now. I booked my car through Costco and changed the reservation three times, saving almost $100 on a week's rental. Working on it a couple months in advance and finding the time for all the checking, however, is great. I realize not everyone has the time or patience for this.

I also saved quite a bit on my Alaska Air flight this time because I got the airline's one day sale email and the available dates and flight time met our needs.

Reply to: feedback re: southwest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted