We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day Weekend Ferry Wait Times

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
129 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Labor Day Weekend Ferry Wait Times

Ugh.....I'm getting a little apprehensive about what time we'll need to be at the ferry dock for our trip to the San Juan Islands over Labor Day weekend. We would like to take the 10:20 am departure from Anacortes on Saturday, August 30. How early should we be at the dock? And is there anything to do within walking distance of the terminal if we happen to miss that sailing?

Also, how packed are the inter-island ferries? The next day (Sunday) we would like to take the ferry from Orcas over to SJI for the day, but it seems that the number of sailings in between Orcas and SJI are very limited. As in, we better catch the 10:40 am out of Orcas or we're done for!

Thanks for the help!!! And I apologize for posting yet another ferry schedule/wait time question. You guys must get tired of them ;)

Friday Harbor...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day Weekend Ferry Wait Times

That is a very busy weekend. I would suggest you get there 2 hours in advance for a Saturday morning departure from Anacortes. Much information in detail about the Anacortes ferry terminal and how to get to the ferry landing in Anacortes if you have a car as well as webcams showing you the current car holding lot (and a nice new feature which shows the actual amount of spaces left per vessel sailing for vehicles )is at: …wa.gov/ferries/… At the Anacortes ferry landing you'll find enough to do around the rurally located terminal while you wait for your ferry. Grassy trails lead down to the nearby beach and through the shoreline wetlands. You can get something at the small gift shop, buy drinks and snacks, walk your dog in the dog-walk area and on the beach, relax at a picnic table, or go online using the terminal's wireless Internet service (which has a fee). If you’re like us and like to get some exercise and view beautiful scenery you can now take a walk for about 40 minutes starting from the beach below the car holding lot along the waterfront via the completed walkway trail to the short but scenic Guemes Channel path…for more details on that see …seattletimes.com/northwesttraveler/…

The inter-island ferry is a different story. The only time I've ever heard or read about overloads in decades here on that route is the day the Co fair ends (which is soon so won't affect you). Most folks find getting there 30 minutes before departure is fine (we cut it much shorter but as visitors you probably don't want to) There is also a 12:25 departure from Orcas to SJI as well as later ones.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
129 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Day Weekend Ferry Wait Times

Thank you so much! This is exactly the type of information I was looking for! Nice to know that we'll be able to take a nice walk while waiting in Anacortes. We'll have our pup with us so it will be important to get out and stretch our legs. Thank you so much for the thorough reply!

3. Re: Labor Day Weekend Ferry Wait Times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 16, 2015