We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Trip Recommendation Please

Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Quick Trip Recommendation Please

My wife and I will be in the Seattle area soon and would like to visit the San Juan Islands. We plan to arrive in our rental car via ferry on Sunday afternoon, October 20 and depart on Tuesday afternoon, October 22. We have never been to the Islands so I am looking for a suggestion for a place to stay (2 nights) for this quick trip and also a few ideas on what activities we should consider for Monday and Tuesday. We don't require the finest lodging but would prefer a very nice, friendly, clean, convenient place to stay. We are outdoor-types and enjoy all sorts of outdoor activities.I realize that I can find all this information here on the site but thought I would just look for an expert recommendation here in the forum. Thanks all!

Friday Harbor...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Trip Recommendation Please

Here is a detailed general article on the Islands tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju… and also you can find out a lot about the islands including all there is to do here at the many parks and check for lodging vacancies on the dates you will be coming at the San Juan Visitor Bureau web site: http://www.visitsanjuans.com/ And here is a calendar of events for San Juan: http://www.sanjuancalendar.com/

I did a quick check on your listed dates for lodging here on SJI at the above web site and I see you have quite a few choices. I myself have seen rooms in some of the places mentioned. If you are looking for a place that is conveniently located in town near the ferry that also has very good water views you should check out

Island Inn at 123 West Street phone #877-512-9262. You can see their reviews here on tripadvisor at tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60957-d1817357… which also has a link to their website. Every room is different at this lodging too. Check out the Visitor Bureau for other good choices as well.

The trail to Young Hill at English Camp National Park, is a satisfying hike with a 700-foot summit elevation but it's all in the shade so most everyone can handle this trail. The sweeping views from the rocky look-outs up there are well worth the efforts to get there. To the east is a territorial view of San Juan, with Cady Mountain and hundreds of acres of forested Roche Harbor company lands. Immediately below is Westcott Bay, and out across Haro Strait are the Canadian Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island to the west. You can find the official trail map for that at nps.gov/sajh/…202005.pdf . Near the historic buildings at the main part of the park you'll also find Bell Point Trail. That one is mostly level terrain and runs close to the quiet bay.

Over at American Camp National Park there are numerous trails, one of the longest of which is Jakle's Lagoon/Mt Finlayson. This gentle rolling path leads up from the parking area and runs along the bluff over the south end of the Island. Walking along, you can see the miles long stretch of South beach, and further to the south is the lighthouse at Cattle Point while in the distance the Olympic Mountains loom over the Salish Sea. You can find the official trail map for that at nps.gov/sajh/…jakleslagoon_2005.pdf

Limekiln State Park also has a network of trails as well as a very attractive lighthouse. You can find a map and all sorts of other useful information for that park at www.parks.wa.gov/parks/…

2. Re: Quick Trip Recommendation Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 09, 2014