We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Drive from Oregon to Anacortes

Birmingham
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Drive from Oregon to Anacortes

We're traveling from the Oregon coast to SJI in a single day (at least that is the current plan). Obviously we would like to take the most scenic drive, but must balance it against time constraints. Any recommendations on whether to travel up the west side of puget sound and take the Port Townsend ferry on the way to Anacortes versus taking the interstate throught Seattle to Anacortes? Am I crazy for making this drive in one day (originating in McMinnville, OR)? It will allow us to have two full days in SJI.

Thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Drive from Oregon to Anacortes

More than once from Tigard we have taken Hood Canal east side of Olympics to ferry at Port Townsend, It is nice drive, fairly scenic, Sure a lot better if you have any chance of hitting rush hour.

I had not known before. someone here told me, you can get reservations on the Coupeville ferry.

I would not take route on west side of Olympics, also 101. a lot longer and not real scenic.

Edited: 3:25 pm, June 06, 2012
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Drive from Oregon to Anacortes

You'll want to be at the Anacortes ferry terminal at least one hour, perhaps two, before sailing. When is this trip?

I Google Mapped the trip. Three routes are shown, ranging from 5.5 to 6.5 hours.

I'd go straight I-5 to SR 20 and on to Anacortes. I like the idea of the other routes, but you risk making the Port Townsend to Coupeville ferry and we don't know if there might be schedule, tidal, mechanical problems. You have a long haul that day, I'd not add to concerns. Also, you'll be able to use the express lanes northbound; that will help but I'd leave McMinville quite early to avoid Seattle rush hour traffic.

WA State Ferries For routes, schedules, fares and more - http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Take care in reading that schedule, the dates and times; make sure it is the one when you will be here. Also, read across carefully, Anacortes to Friday Harbor. It looks like you'll possibly have 3 departures to choose from.

If you will arrive too early, take a turn on SR20 to Deception Pass Bridge.

Seattle to Anacortes, two hours.

Arrive at Anacortes at least one hour before departure.

Edited: 3:42 pm, June 06, 2012
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Drive from Oregon to Anacortes

The ferries can get congested depending on day and time of sailing; here's a table to guide your timing.

…wa.gov/ferries/…AnacortesSanJuans.pdf

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,788 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Drive from Oregon to Anacortes

It is not crazy, but I agree take the most direct route as Voyaging suggested. You have a long enough drive as it is. There ARE more scenic routes, but I do not think they are worth the detour given your time restraints. Last week I helped a couple of Rangers clear a wreck on the Penninsula. It only delayed me an hour, but at first they were going to shut down 101. I was surprised we got going as soon as we did. Unusual I must admit, but coming back there was an overturned trailer blocking a lane on another part of 101.

5. Re: Best Drive from Oregon to Anacortes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:41 pm, June 20, 2013