We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days - Seattle, San Juan, Olympic National itinerary help

Baraboo, WI
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
8 days - Seattle, San Juan, Olympic National itinerary help

Hello, My husband and I are headed out to Washington state from 7/6-7/14. We're thinking of visiting Seattle, San Juan Islands and Olympic National Park.

I was thinking of maybe the following itinerary:

Arrive in Seattle 7/6

7/6-7/8 in Seattle (I will have several days before this that I will be there myself to check things out)

7/9-7/11 in the San Juan Islands

7/12-7/13 in Olympic National Park

7/14 - fly out

I'd like to hear the thoughts of those from this area or who have been there if this itinerary is realistic.

A couple of items I'm having a hard time finding. Whats the best way to get from the San Juan Islands to Olympic National Park? How long should we plan for this to take?

Would you recommend San Juan Islands or Whidbey Island? We love scenery, nature, and small towns quaint towns with cute little local shops.

Anything else major that we're missing or that you think we should change?

Thanks a ton for your help!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 8 days - Seattle, San Juan, Olympic National itinerary help

Do you understand how to get to San Juan Island/Friday Harbor?

You don't need to stay in FH, anywhere on the island will do. Decide on farm, ocean front, ocean view, etc. as you discuss with B&Bs, landlords or real estate agents.

Friday Harbor...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 8 days - Seattle, San Juan, Olympic National itinerary help

In your last post you said "We fly out at 1 pm on Saturday 7/14 so I'm leaning towards heading back to Seattle at night on 7/13 and staying overnight there instead of in the San Juan Islands."

I strongly suggest you do leave the evening before and not wait until the day you fly out. To safely (if no accidents on the roads or other unforeseen things like a flat tire) made a 1pm flight at seatac you would have to take the 'red eye' ferry from here. Going by last summer's schedule (they can vary slightly year to year) that ferry leaves FH at 5:45am and stops at Lopez so to be safe you should be in line at the FH ferry landing at 4:45am. Many local people and business trucks take that red eye ferry so one still needs to come an hour early to be assured of getting on, especially in July. We always go a day early when we are flying out from Seatac and stay at a hotel near the airport.

Edited: 2:18 pm, April 01, 2012
Baraboo, WI
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 8 days - Seattle, San Juan, Olympic National itinerary help

I've done some more research and based on mapping things out I'm wondering if this itinerary is too much. It is a lot of driving and moving around but I tried to not back track to save time wherever I can to see the most that I can.

Could you give me more thoughts on this? Anything I really should remove or rearrange? The times I've listed next to each of the areas is drive time (according to google maps) from one location to the next. I know that this is not a "relaxing" vacation (maybe by the time we get to the San Juans it will be) but through ONP I'm interested in seeing everything that I can.

7/6 Husband arrives - stay near SeaTac

7/7 Drive from Airport to Kalaloch stop at Lake Quinault 2 hr 45 min driving

Lake Quinault to Ruby Beach 50 min

Ruby Beach to Kalaloch 15 min

Stay in Kalaloch

Total Driving Time 3 hr 46 min

7/8 Kalaloch to Hoh 55 min

Hoh to La Push 1 hr 20 min

La Push to Rialto 28 min

Rialto to Forks 34 min

Stay over in Forks

Total Drive Time 3 hr 15 min

7/9 Forks to Sol Duc 1 hr

Sol Duc to Lake Crescent 47 min

Lake Crescent to Port Angeles 21 min

Stay over in Port Angeles

Total Drive Time 2 hr 7 min

7/10 Port Angeles to Hurricane Ridge 15 min

Hurricane Ridge to Port Townsend, Coupeville, and Deception Pass

Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands

Stay over in Friday Harbor

Driving time 4+ hours

7/11, 7/12

Check out Orcas Island - Town of Orcas, Eastsound, Crescent Beach Reserve, drive to the top of Moran State Park,Olga

Friday Harbor see Lime Kilm State Park and Roche Harbor

If time go to Lopez Island check out Lopez Village shops, Agate Beach County Park and Shark Reef Sanctuary,

Continue stay in Friday Harbor

7/13 Friday Harbor to Seattle 2hr 30 min

or Friday Harbor to SeaTac airport 2 hr 45 min

Stay over in Seattle or near SeaTac depending on what time we leave Friday Harbor.

7/14 fly home Leave at 1:05 Arrive at 11:00

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 8 days - Seattle, San Juan, Olympic National itinerary help

I answered your other query, but I want to add that the Googlemaps drive times are often grossly optimistic. It is not 21 minutes from Lake Crescent to Port Angeles. It is 30 minutes, to the dot, from the EASTERN shore of Lake C to PA. From the western shore it is 45 minutes to PA, possibly more. Lake Crescent is big, and the road along it, while stunningly beautiful, is twisty and slow. This is one of the few genuinely scenic drives in ONP. and you will want to take your time and probably stop for pictures.

Baraboo, WI
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 8 days - Seattle, San Juan, Olympic National itinerary help

Thanks kaleberg for that info. I've looked at your website and tried to glean some of the drive times off of that as well but struggeld at times with this. You are correct that if the scenery is good I will be stopping for pictures. That's what I'm looking to capture in ONP are some beautiful pics. I did read your reply on the other post as well. I will make sure that we plan for stops along the way in Lake Crescent.

Friday Harbor...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 8 days - Seattle, San Juan, Olympic National itinerary help

You also need to allow some wiggle room for ferry lines. In a short 2 day stay, you will probably only be able to do Orcas and San Juan Island/Friday Harbor. If you have the 3rd day you could do a day trip over to Lopez Island from Friday Harbor. If your flight leaves 11:30 am or later you could stay in Friday Harbor and be on the early morning boat (the red eye, as us locals call it) and be able to extend your holiday one more day in the Islands. If you need to get to Seattle for an earlier flight and need to leave the night before you can visit Lopez on your way back to Anacortes (the mainland). The ferry is free for east bound travel (you pay r/t heading west).

17. Re: 8 days - Seattle, San Juan, Olympic National itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:40 am, June 20, 2013