We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Juan Island Family Get Together

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
62 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
San Juan Island Family Get Together

We do a house rental family get together every year and are thinking of one of the San Juan Islands this year. We are 3 families with 3 kids. The kids like beaches, some boating, and general hanging out. In fact, they would be happy spending most of their day at the beach. The adults like the same plus some interesting places to visit, casual hikes, dining out, and being together.

I have been to the San Juans before but only with my wife so I am not sure what the best island to pick for a family would be. Positives and negatives for the different islands would be appreciated.

It is always difficult finding a rental house for such a large group. Any house rental suggestions or ideas of rental agencies for the islands would also help.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Juan Island Family Get Together

I would focus less on which island, and start looking for a beach house. Since so much of the shore of the islands is rocky, you probably aren't going to find too many options on an actual beach. You others needs seem quite easy to meet on Lopez, Orcas OR San Juan Island, so I think you can be happy on any of them, if you found the right house.

San Juan and Orcas are best for hiking; Lopez really doesn't have any. Orcas has the lakes in Moran St Park where kids can swim and rent rowboats. San Juan has the best public beaches, in case you can't find a beachfront house, and the most true attractions (like the National Historical Park). Lopez has some nice waterfront parks too. Orcas has the least public beach. Lopez is best for biking--quiet roads and flatter than the others--and there are some nice waterfront and beach parks. Lopez has fewer dining out options and other attractions, but the less developed/touristed aspect of that island is part of the charm.

The various chamber of commerce and tourism websites have rental agencies listed. I know that Windermere Realty has quite a few, and there is VRBO.com of course.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Juan Island Family Get Together

Here's an article I wrote that might help, and it is consistent with post #1.

San Juan Islands (Information on the several major islands, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

An official and very helpful guide to the islands.

http://www.visitsanjuans.com/

San Juan Island Rental Houses

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Vacation+Doorways+on+San+Juan+Island

Hiking in the San Juan Islands, WA

thesanjuans.com/…20Anacortes.htm

Informative Site for Orcas Island

www.turtlebackinn.com/moran_park_brochure.pdf

Whale Watching Information

www.orcanetwork.org/sightings/map.html#map

gonorthwest.com/Washington/Activities/whales…

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Juan Island Family Get Together

When will you be here?

You know the beaches are beautiful (and there are many on San Juan Island), but the water is too cold for swimming.

My favorite for its diversity, access to water and much more is SJI. You can/should visit Orcas for the studios, Mt. Constitution, etc.; and Lopez for bike riding (and good dining at the Bay Cafe. See the article.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Juan Island Family Get Together

Re: Bay Cafe on Lopez: http://tinyurl.com/3h2f783

5. Re: San Juan Island Family Get Together

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 26, 2012