We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car for San Juans

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car for San Juans

I will preface this by saying I'm an East Coaster who has never been to the SJs. We will be using Lopez as a base for 3 days...flying in and out the Seatlle airport. The car rental in Seattle is proving to be astronomical. Can cars ever be rented on the islands even for the day thereby saving the ferry cost?

Seattle
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car for San Juans

I've never heard of anyone doing that, but call your innkeeper to find out if there's a way.

I don't know what your plan is for getting to the San Juans, but I'm sure that driving onto the ferry is the cheapest way to go if you plan to do any significant sightseeing. Otherwise, you could ride bikes, hike, etc. But you still have to get TO the islands.

(If you're spending any time in Seattle, you don't need a car while you're in the city. Maybe that'll save some $$?)

BTW, Lopez is VERY quiet and friendly. Please make sure to wave at other cars you pass.

Let us know what you find out.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,685 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car for San Juans

there is a shuttle to Anacortes, Bellair charters that could get you to Everett or Marysville where you could rent a car probably a lot cheaper than in Seattle. Don''t know if the cost of the shuttle would be cheaper but its worth a shot.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car for San Juans

Since I just got back from this trip, I'm going to answer my own post. We rented in Seattle as I couldn't get any good information on rentals prior to my departure. I did find out that there is a shuttle from Sea-Tac to the Anacortes ferry terminal called Airporter Shuttle. Don't know how much it is. On Orcas Island, there are definitely car rentals. Next time I might try that instead.

We actually ran into a couple who were staying on Lopez and rented a car on Orcas. After 1 day with the car, they gave it up and hitched rides from then on out. They said it worked great for them, everyone was friendly, and they met some local folks. I might try this next time too!

Coral Gables, FL
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car for San Juans

What were Lopez and Orcas like? I am traveling on Friday with 2 small children (4 and 2). We are also renting the car in Seattle...We will be using San Juan as our base. Just thinking if it's worth it to ferry it over to the other islands....what are your thoughts?