We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clam Chowder, Best

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Clam Chowder, Best

I'll post a review, but had NE style clam chowder (plus meals) at Sage's Restaurant, Redmond. Best I've had since leaving NE. The main courses were beautifully prepared and served.

http://www.sagesrestaurant.com/

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clam Chowder, Best

Is the Chowder better than Ivar's Chowder? We were told to be sure to get chowder there.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clam Chowder, Best

Ivar's is a local standard; very good. It is not innovative or different, or freshly made by a chef (to my knowledge).

There are a lot of good chowders being served out here, and a fair share of ordinary ones.

Looks like this place makes a feature of their house made soups --

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clam Chowder, Best

Ivar's is OK.

I judge chowder based on the quantity of clams, good clam flavor, nicely spiced, without gross numbers of, usually large, potato lumps/chunks, and minimal if any corn starch (that makes for a lumpy, white, bland, mess of a bowl).

I never understood NY style clam chowder, but to each his own. It isn't "bad", just not what I grew up with.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clam Chowder, Best

Voyaging if you can point us to a good Chowder place in Seattle that would be great.

I love a nice thick, creamy, lots of clams (not many potatoes) with a bit of spice.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clam Chowder, Best

I cannot do that, because I've eaten at many places over the years and things change. However, I was astounded at the success at Googling "Seattle Clam Chowder" and found many restaurants listed, including reviews.

http://www.google.com/search?q=seattle+clam+chowder&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

And as you and I know, it's pronounced "clam chowdah". :)

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clam Chowder, Best

It is a contested topic as well; many people have their favorites and consider the rest to be bogwash.

The Scuttlebutt Brewery in Everett has good chowder.

7. Re: Clam Chowder, Best

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 12, 2010