We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Military family moving from Maryland to Seattle area

Olney, Maryland
8 posts
Save Topic
Military family moving from Maryland to Seattle area

Can anyone give advice on what route to take from Maryland to Poulsbo, Washington (close to Seatttle)? Google maps wants us to take toll roads from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin. We are driving two cars and this sounds expensive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

14 replies to this topic
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Military family moving from Maryland to Seattle area

I think you'll get better answers on the TA Forums for each state and/or the RoadTrip Forum, folks who know those toll roads and alternative routes. Once "out west", you'll have freeways, no tolls. Best wishes to you all.

Edited: 12:30 pm, May 04, 2012
Olney, Maryland
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Military family moving from Maryland to Seattle area

Thanks. Will post questions on state forums. Take care.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,578 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Military family moving from Maryland to Seattle area

agree we have so few toll roads out west we call them 'free' ways vs turnpikes. Can't help you much with PA to Wisconsin advice. We do have ferries and some toll bridges.

seattle
Level Contributor
678 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Military family moving from Maryland to Seattle area

Try mapquest.com. It gives three major routes, with a slightly more southern one that goes by Indianapolis and misses the Pennsylvania turnpikes. Tolls are not listed for that route, whereas the ones that go further north into Pennsylvania toward Chicago are. We've done the Chicago route heading west to east to Pax River in MD.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Military family moving from Maryland to Seattle area

Generally, you want to get on I-90 in the midwest and go straight to Washington from there. Albert Lea MN is not a bad jumping on point, if you take 70 west to Indy then 74 and others through Illinois and into Iowa, and north. You do not want to go surface roads in Iowa as there are many many little towns and your progress will be slow. I have driven from Indy to Peoria and it was not a toll; very uneventful.

Are you hauling gear? If not, take I-90 to its terminus in downtown Seattle, then take the Bainbridge ferry to Poulsbo. Be sure to stop at the bakery (if the time is right) to welcome yourselves to town!

If you are hauling gear, you might want to take I-5 down to Tacoma, cross the Tacoma Narrows and then head up to Poulsbo. Be sure to watch the Galloping Gertie video first...

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,760 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Military family moving from Maryland to Seattle area

Google Maps has an option where you can specify routes that avoid toll roads. Not sure where you're starting in MD (assume the DC area?) but here's one that avoids tolls: http://g.co/maps/ep4dv

That said, the tolls through PA or OH are not very much; probably under $20 per car, which if it saves a few gallons of gas or a couple hundred miles might be worth it.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Military family moving from Maryland to Seattle area

It should be noted that the floating bridge that takes I-90 over Lake Washington is a toll bridge with no toll booths...they take a picture of your license plate and mail you a bill. I have no clue as to how that would work with Maryland plates and a Maryland address that is no longer valid. Avoid it by taking 405 south as recommended and go over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Tolls are collected only on eastbound trips so you are home free heading over to Bremerton and points north.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,760 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Military family moving from Maryland to Seattle area

>> It should be noted that the floating bridge that takes I-90 over Lake Washington is a toll bridge with no toll booths...they take a picture of your license plate and mail you a bill. <<

This is not accurate. The SR520 floating bridge (north of I-90) is tolled; the I-90 bridge is not.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Military family moving from Maryland to Seattle area

You are absolutely right!!! As one who never has to cross a floating bridge I answered off the top of my head and blew it. Still, the advice to go around via the Tacoma Narrows Bridge is valid.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Military family moving from Maryland to Seattle area

Kazmer, you've been given good advice and suggestions, I need to say to you welcome to WA state. I hope you are happy here. and all goes well.

collie

Reply to: Military family moving from Maryland to Seattle area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Poulsbo
More Poulsbo Topics