We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kind of an unfriendly place

Which Port Townsend hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Kind of an unfriendly place

Port Townsend is a beautiful little town on the west side of Puget Sound. The old downtown is full of eclectic shops in old Victorian buildings and the town is very picturesque and fun to walk around in. Now, the downside… We have never felt so unwelcome in our life. You would have thought we were lepers! In several of the stores, the shopkeeper didn’t even acknowledge our presence even though we were the only ones there. Despite spending $75 on a hat, I felt I was being spoken to in a condescending manner by one shop keeper.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,887 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kind of an unfriendly place

>Someone who joins TA to post one thing isn't really helping any of us.<

Actually, Todd_9999 has been a TA member for almost two years and has posted several reviews and a few photos.

He and his wife quite enjoyed their lunch in Port Townsend, so maybe the restaurant staff didn't realize they were "lepers" ;-)

I agree, Sutter.

Edited: 9:23 pm, May 08, 2013
Oak Harbor...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Kind of an unfriendly place

Sweeping generalization? No - this person used solitary perspective from their mindseye to say that the shops visited made them feel that way. There is no such thing as citations for personal opinions from what was experienced, they gave an example of one of them was all.

kirkland wa
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kind of an unfriendly place

So sorry - We have visited Port Townsend about twice a year for 15 years, and usually find people very "down home". While it is a tourist destination for sure, much to see and do, I have found the population of Port Townsend to be generally independent creative people who value the local trades and their own community (farmers markets, wooden boatbuilding, etc.) . Often restaurants and shops will have some locals hanging around just to visit with the shop keepers. While they know the value of tourism, I would say most shop keepers are not inclined to give out merely professional smiles, but on the other hand there isn't too much sales pressure!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Kind of an unfriendly place

Think I ran into that same shopkeeper. but the others were all fine. Ignored me, barely answered question. Think I will recognize store and will not go in next time. though she may not be there anymore.

Edited: 3:17 pm, September 19, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
774 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Kind of an unfriendly place

Hmmmm, I have had so much fun in Port Townsend and not once felt anything like as described

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Kind of an unfriendly place

Oh, OP said "lepers." I thought they said "leopards." In one PT restaurant we did have some trouble getting the waitress's attention, and I was going to explain it by the fact we were both wearing clothes with spots.

Edited: 1:15 pm, September 20, 2013
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,903 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Kind of an unfriendly place

this was from April 2013. Unfortunately it keeps getting resurrected.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,816 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Kind of an unfriendly place

Please put this out of its misery!

19. Re: Kind of an unfriendly place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, June 02, 2016