We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help in chosing a restaurant

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Help in chosing a restaurant

I have been going over the restaurant reviews for PT. It is hard to chose with such mixed reviews.

Can some one suggest some places, that will not break our wallet, that we can try?

Thank you for your help!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help in chosing a restaurant

We were just there a few weeks ago and found The Fountain Cafe to be excellent (it's high on TA's best restaurants list, as well). The Blue Moose Cafe in the boatyards is a tremendous breakfast find. It's not located in a place most tourists would frequent, but the food is wonderful and the ambiance local funky. We also had a top notch experience at the Ajax Cafe in nearby Port Hadlock, but that is a bit higher on the expense scale.

The Nifty Fifty was fun for a light lunch and an old fashioned shake or malt.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,419 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help in chosing a restaurant

oregonpoppa gives some good advice. I had corned beef hash at the Blue Moose this morning.

You can't go wrong with:

- Khu Larb (thai)

- T's

- Lanza's

For me Silverwater Cafe is hit and miss. The Belmont is good, but nothing special. It's where I go for a steak. There's pretty good take-away sushi at Aldrich's grocery.

Enjoy PT,

chuck.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help in chosing a restaurant

chuck lives there, so i defer to him, but on a recent visit, my dinner at silverwater impressed me much more than my dinner at t's on back to back nights. i hadn't been to the silverwater in years but had been to t's a number of times in recent years and had always liked it. it wasn't bad this time by any means but i preferred silverwater this time around.

i also tried blue moose which i thought was good but not outstanding for that kind of hole in the wall breakfast. i enjoyed my breakfast at salal cafe the day before more.

could just be the dishes i ordered at each place...but fwiw, that's my input. guess i can see why you're reading mixed reviews and having a hard time!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help in chosing a restaurant

There were four of us at the Blue Moose. One had the corned beef hash and exclaimed it was the best she ever had. I had the smoked salmon omelet (with large chunks of salmon and a river of cream cheese in the crease of the omelet) and loved it. The other two had more traditional breakfasts and were happy, but not ecstatic. So, as nwwandererer says, a lot depends on what you order and what yoru expectations are.

We all were very happy at the Oak Table in Sequim...especially the two of us who shared the huge apple pancake...and my wife who ordered the granola parfait that was almost too pretty to eat. But that's another story and doesn't answer the OP's inquiry.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,419 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help in chosing a restaurant

Yep, consistency is a common stumbling block here, it seems. I'll say, unequivocally, that does not apply to Khu Larb. I lived in the Bay Area for many years and Khu Larb is easily the best Thai I've had.

Hopefully Parrot will stop by with another local opinion.

You really can't go to far wrong. I'd even recommend Sirens Pub. They have very good food and if you score an evening seat out on the deck you couldn't actually do much better.

Enjoy,

chuck.

Edited: 12:28 am, August 09, 2010
Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help in chosing a restaurant

I want to thank everyone for your sugestions. It looks like we have several places to try. I like the idea of the deck at Sirens pub...

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
364 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help in chosing a restaurant

Maybe better late than never? I just posted a review of a restaurant in Port Townsend that we enjoyed last week. The Water Street Creperie is terrific!

We also had crepes at a chocolate chop in Langley, on Whidbey Island--definitely not good. If you ever have a chance to try to Water Street place, do so. I want to go back to Port Townsend, just to go to the creperie, next time I visit relatives on Whidbey.

enjoy, FV

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help in chosing a restaurant

As a local I don't eat out very often, though consider myself to be a bit of a foodie...that said the Silverwater is our choice for special dinners, I also like the Fountain (but my spouse doesn't), and the Blue Moose is just what others have said (great for "boatyard" breakfasts and lunches), but a place that is our "everyday" favorite is the Ichikawa (very good Japanese/sushi). T's has the reputation as the best place in town but it doesn't do it for me and personally I am also lukewarm on the Belmont (these two are good just not my favorites). I feel Port Townsend has quite a few nice restaurants but all are somewhat similar: a broad Pacific Northwest menu with limited ethnic foods and very occasional innovations.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
364 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help in chosing a restaurant

I'd love the taco and Japanese places you mentioned. My Mother-in-law, who lives on Whidbey Island, has health problems and can't have any soy or anything spicy or that has any black or white pepper in it. Makes eats out a challenge, especially since I don't like Boring!

10. Re: Help in chosing a restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, March 06, 2011