We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beauty and Stench

1 post
Save Topic
Beauty and Stench

Port Townsend is a lovely place to visit. Nice town. Nice port. Nice weather. I stayed there twice. Two nights the first time and three nights the second. On three of those five mornings, the town was filled with a stench from a nearby wood mill. Gave me a headache and made me cough. What a way to ruin an awesome area.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beauty and Stench

Sorry about the stench/odor/scent/smell, et al. The mill is an important economic matter for the area and pre-dates, to some extent, the tourism industry. It would be nice if the smell could be reduced. I'm a bit surprised, if the weather were nice as you say, there tends to be northerly breezes, i.e., N to S, and that would have blown the smoke away from downtown. If it were calm, or southerlies, the opposite would be true. It's about living in the NW and a few, and diminishing number of, areas.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beauty and Stench

Sorry about the smell darkening your visit. It is something we learn to live with and it is quite localized.

Atmospheric conditions almost always change during the day and the smell blows out. You will find it strongest at the HWY 20/Mill Rd Stop light; not the most touristy spot. If you smell it in town, it will move on. You're right, a heavy weather morning is prime time to smell it in town.

Please come back. Chances are very good that you got an unfair dose.

Funny thing. I've lived in Arcata, CA, Albany, OR and Port Townsend. All notoriously stinky places with pulp mills. I find the smell nostalgic. I feel pretty healthy too.

Enjoy PT,

Washington - the...
Level Contributor
333 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beauty and Stench

I agree - it "smells like home" to me.

Please keep in mind that the wood mill provides some of the best paying jobs in the area.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
4. Re: Beauty and Stench

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 22, 2009