We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike Recommendations?

Janesville...
Level Contributor
198 posts
445 reviews
Save Topic
Hike Recommendations?

My wife and I are looking for day hikes within a 2 hour drive of the Port Orchard area. I have family in Belfair, and we’ve always talked about finding a hike in the area for an afternoon. I love hiking in Rainier, but hoping to find something closer to family where my wife and I can go out and be back in a half day excursion. Any recommendations? Not looking for technical climbs, but also not wanting a stroll along the Hood Canal (we do plenty of that). Thanks for any help!

6 replies to this topic
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,872 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike Recommendations?

Marmot Pass (from the upper Big Quilcene side) and Mt Townsend are two wonderful hikes on the east side of the Olympics, and they aren't strenuous hikes, but whether or not you can be back home in a half day depends on how fast you hike, I guess.

You might use WTA's hiking guide to find just what you want. Under the category Olympics, you can choose east, or Kitsap Peninsula (which is different than the Olympics, but that's where they have it).

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,905 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike Recommendations?

Excellent suggestions from Christy. Also have a look at Mt. Zion, Tubal Cane Mine and the Duckabush River trails.

"Day Hiking: Olympic Peninsula" by Craig Romano is an excellent trail guide.

Enjoy,

chuck

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike Recommendations?

I will add Staircase at Lake Cushman if you want to be in the forest (Flapjack Lakes is great if you have the time) and Lower Lena Lake.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
198 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike Recommendations?

Thank you everyone for the responses! I will be ordering those books and heading to REI to pull maps. I really appreciate all the feedback, have a great day!

Dan

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
154 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hike Recommendations?

Depending on where you go, a day pass may be required. Check into it before you head up.

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
23 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hike Recommendations?

I second Mt Townsend and Lower Lena Lake. Lower Lena is one of my absolute favorite hikes.

Reply to: Hike Recommendations?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Orchard