We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speaking of Pt. Roberts

San Francisco
Level Contributor
135 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Speaking of Pt. Roberts

As a geography nerd, I've always been fascinated by anomalies such as Pt. Roberts. Is it worth checking out on the way from Bellingham to Vancouver? Is crossing across the border a hassle and is there anything to see in December.

7 replies to this topic
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speaking of Pt. Roberts

It is not a hassle to cross the border and it is a cute enough place to visit. I don't think many people do visit there, but there are a lot of people with summer homes. There is a whale-watching beach on the west side. We didn't see whales, but it was a nice place to stop.

It doesn't take long, so if you are a geography nerd I would think it is a must.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,486 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speaking of Pt. Roberts

Well, its not really on your way, and you will have to do several border crossings to pop over and see it. I don't get down there often, but on my most recent trip the marked difference in the economy on the the two sides of the border was interesting. Tsawassen is a wealthy Vancouver suburb while Pt. Roberts felt rather depressed.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speaking of Pt. Roberts

I have to say the Canadians are doing something right. The austerity plan stinks.

You would only have one extra border crossing each way to see it. It isn't much of a tourist destination, but interesting in itself as a strange holdout of political geography.

Edited: 2:33 am, September 24, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,486 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speaking of Pt. Roberts

We had a government in the 90s that implemented strict banking practices which has saved our butts through all this mess. The current gov't was in opposition and opposed the implementation of the banking regulations at the time and has been busily dismantling it since they got into power. Fortunately, the banks themselves can see where deregulation gets them and are moving forward more cautiously now.

Austerity is the only way out when such a big hole has been dug (thanks GWB). But it works! Just ask New Zealand!

(sorry, totally OT)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
135 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Speaking of Pt. Roberts

OK, looks like a fun border crossing. Easier than say El Paso-Juarez if not as dramatic -)

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
596 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Speaking of Pt. Roberts

I believe there is a new county park that is getting pretty good reviews - so it may be worth checking out.

Perth
Level Contributor
4 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speaking of Pt. Roberts

We've just been to Vancouver and wanted to visit Point Roberts but didn't quite dare to do it. We are UK citizens but travelling on dual citizenship Australian passports. We had an active ESTA for USA and a visa for Canada but we were nervous about not being let back into Canada based on some technicality so in the end we didn't try.

BUT what we did do was visit the border on the way to the ferry. How weird to go into a housing estate where roads just end with a concrete barricade and a warning sign. And the other side of the barrier the road equally ends or bends. Admittedly we did lean over and touch America.....

What I wanted to say those we found that you can enter USA on foot without a passport at Peace Arch Park at the main border crossing. (well Trump had only been in office 3 days when we did it so maybe he's outlawed it now). We parked by the duty free shop on the Canadian side and provided you stay within the boundaries of the park you can freely walk into the US and back. We picked up a geocache on the US side, used the rest rooms, took several border photos and then wandered back into Canada satisfied that we'd gone one up on the system.

HTH someone!

Edited: 2:46 am, January 29, 2017
Reply to: Speaking of Pt. Roberts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Point Roberts