We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orcas -> Friday Harbor -> Sidney

Sutton...
2 posts
Save Topic
Orcas -> Friday Harbor -> Sidney

Hi,

From the WS Ferry schedule, it looks like the simplest way to get from Orcas to Sidney is to take the 7:35AM ferry to Friday Harbor and then the 9:45 ferry to Sidney. Am I right in thinking that this is straightforward as long as one has reservations? Or is there some trick I should know?

Thanks much,

Ken B.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orcas -> Friday Harbor -> Sidney

Sounds right to me. If so, you have succeeded reading that complex schedule, a daunting task, for natives and newbies!

I'm from Belmont, about an hour from Sutton.

Here's an article FYI. See also recent posts by DriftingClouds who details things to do on Orcas.

San Juan Islands (Specific information on the several major islands, with key websites. Best seen with at least one overnight.) tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

Have a good trip.

Edited: 6:17 pm, May 26, 2013
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orcas -> Friday Harbor -> Sidney

You'll find many things to do on San Juan Island as listed in the article I provided. The article notes the highlights of each island. If time permits, well worth taking the ferry there from Orcas, with car - plan on a full day. If you'll be biking, definitely Lopez, the most pastoral and forgiving and least traffic (though really not much on these islands, compared to the east coast.

Edited: 6:21 pm, May 26, 2013
Friday Harbor...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orcas -> Friday Harbor -> Sidney

As long as you are going before the schedule changes June 15th yes those are the correct times for the inter-island ferry and then the Sidney ferry from FH. WSDOT bulletin page at wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/schedule/bulletin.aspx carries special notices of cancellations and changes to the posted sailings. Webcams at the Anacortes, Friday Harbor and Orcas Island ferry terminals give you a chance to size up the ferry lines. Keep in mind the situation can change quickly. One can set up an email alert account with WSF: https://secure1.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/account/

As for waiting for the inter-island ferry we ride the interisland ferry quite often with a car and basically never arrive at the ferry landing before 10 minutes from when it departs, although as visitors you might want to get there 30 minutes before the inter-island just to feel secure. Do keep in mind the drive time you'll need from your last stop on Orcas to the ferry landing and that their curvy roads have a 35 MPH speed limit outside of town.

You should check out all the info on the island at the official islands web site which is at www.visitsanjuans.com/the-islands/eastsound for Eastsound Village, which is a few blocks of quaint shops, eateries and inns situated on a picturesque inlet with island views. On that same web site link you can see links on the left for more info on the smaller hamlets and other sites of interest on Orcas.

Sutton...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Orcas -> Friday Harbor -> Sidney

Hi,

Thanks to you both. I'm reading schedules from www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/2013Summer.pdf so I assume these are good for late July which is when we'll be there. The webcams and email alerts seem like very useful tips.

Best,

Ken B.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orcas -> Friday Harbor -> Sidney

Ferry Terminal Vehicle Congestion Table Each specific ferry route has the following on right hand side, top of that page: “Best Travel Times”. Select your ferry terminal... helps in planning when to be at that terminal(s).

6. Re: Orcas -> Friday Harbor -> Sidney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, June 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Orcas Island