We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking with kids

Evanston, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking with kids

My family and I will be staying on Orca island for two days (1 night) and enjoy hiking. Which is more appropriate for kids ages 6 and 9, Turtleback Mountain or Mount Constitution? Is there any other hikes that should not be missed while in the area? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking with kids

Mount Consitution is the centerpiece of Moran State Park. The park is laced with trails, so there isn't just the trail up Mt C. In fact most people drive up Mt C. I would look at the park map, figure out how far your kids will want to go, and go from there. I'm sure there are trail descriptions online, too, and there are definitely guidebooks with them. You can "hike" (walk, really) to waterfalls and around lakes in the park--there are some very short and easy trails, and some longer steeper ones. You can take a trail down from Mt C (drive to the top) to Little Summit; this is a really nice trail because hardly anyone is on it, and you get views that you don't get from the top of Mt C.

Turtleback is fantastic, but there aren't as many trails. The south trailhead is best, and it's only 1.5 miles uphill to the viewpoint. This is a very easy hike for an adult but I have no idea about your kids.

Another nice walk is in Obstruction Pass State Park--you can take a .6 or .9 mile trail through the woods to a lovely beach that is only accessible by kayak or foot.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking with kids

I found a trail guide for Moran St Park---look at page 2.

www.turtlebackinn.com/moran_park_brochure.pdf

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking with kids

I am sure you will enjoy both. They however are on opposite sides of Orcas Island and it probably makes the most sense to choose the one closest to you.

Evanston, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking with kids

Thank you Christy1 and Thorntree! Given your advise and the resources you've provided, it is clear Mt. Constitution cannot be missed, esp. the spur trail to Little Summit. Moran State Park will be our priority, and if time permits, we will try to make it to Turtleback. Thanks once again for your time and assistance, and we are so looking forward to our time on the island. Much appreciated!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
411 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking with kids

I think Obstruction Pass (easy walks to fantastic beach) is a great outing with kids. Since you're going to Mt. constitution, perhaps you could have a picnic dinner one evening at one of the picnic tables at Obstruction pass and do both!

Also, if you're at Moran you should rent paddle boats in the lake as a treat after the hike.

6. Re: Hiking with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, October 09, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Orcas Island