We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking -- any recommendations?

Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking -- any recommendations?

We have never been to the SJ Islands. This mid-August my finacee and I will be visiting both San Juan Island and Orcas Island, staying on each for 3 days. We would like to go on a 2-4 hour kayaking trip where we will have the best chance of seeing marine wildlife (orcas, seals, sea lions, ...).

Any recommendation on a good company to use on either island to try to achieve this goal?

Thanks in advance.

Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking -- any recommendations?

Have you tried doing a search of previous posts? I believe there was just a trip report about a visit to Orcas that included a kayaking trip.

But in summary on Orcas I would try Spring Bay Inn or Shearwater; on SJI, Outdoor Odysseys (you're more likely to see orcas from SJI if they are close enough to the islands to see).

San Diego
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking -- any recommendations?

Phil, my husband and I just returned from an 8 day stay on Orcas Island and we loved our 3 hour tour with Shearwater. We took the evening tour, leaves at 5 PM. Also heard the sunset tour is very nice. We had a great guide (Darin sp?) and there were only 2 other couples besides us. Evening is nice as the water tends to be calm. Enjoy!!

Have you already booked your lodging? If not, take a look at The Place at Cayou Cove. It was fabulous!!

Orcas Island...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking -- any recommendations?

Hi Phil - You may have already made your trip to the island, but I wanted you to know that the Chamber of Commerce can help recommend kayak tours on Orcas Island. The tips others have offered are all very good. Feel free to visit our website at www.orcasislandchamber.com or email us at info@orcasislandchamber.com. I am the Executive Director of the Chamber (Lance)

4. Re: Kayaking -- any recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, October 07, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Orcas Island
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question